Frederic C. McConnell papers, 1912-1968 PDF
- McConnell, Frederic (Frederic Charles), 1890-1968
- Frederic C. McConnell papers
- 1912-1968 (inclusive)19121968
- 5.0 linear feet, (4 containers)
- Collection Number
- Ax 513
- Frederic C. McConnell (1890-1968) worked as stage director of the Cleveland Play House, was founder and director of the Chautauqua Repertory Theater, and a charter member and officer of the National Theater Conference. The collection (1912-1968) contains correspondence, diaries, manuscripts, Cleveland Play House and Laguna Play House records, Katherine Wick Kelly papers, and stage material and productions.
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
UO Libraries--SPC, 1299
University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public.
Collection must be used in Special Collections & University Archives Reading Room.
- Additional Reference Guides
Paper finding aid with additional information is available in Special Collections & University Archives.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Frederic C. McConnell (1890-1968) was born in Omaha, Nebraska, and educated at the University of Nebraska and the Drama School of Carnegie Institute of Technology. He worked under Samuel J. Hume at the Arts and Crafts Theater in Detroit, and at the Greek Theater, University of California, Berkeley.
From 1921 to 1958 he was director, and from 1958 to 1962 consultant and stage director of the Cleveland Play House. He was also a founder and director of the Chautauqua Repertory Theater, and a charter member and officer of the National Theater Conference.
He married Katherine Wick Kelly in 1926. Kelly was born in Sharpsville, Pennsylvania, 1887, and educated at Radcliffe. She was a member of the Cleveland Play House, and died in 1937.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection contains correspondence, diaries, manuscripts, Cleveland Play House and Laguna Play House records, Katherine Wick Kelly papers, stage material and productions, and a 1973 Addenda.
The correspondence is separated into incoming and outgoing letters. Incoming letters are organized alphabetically by name or title, and outgoing letters are organized by date (1913-1967), with a separate section of outgoing letters to Katherine Wick Kelly (1922-1937). Also included are letters written and received by McConnell while an enlisted man in Co. M, 109th Infantry, A.E.F., 1918-1919, and diaries, mementos and POW documents.
Most of the correspondence relates to the Cleveland Play House. Major correspondents are: Actors Equity Association, Ruth Fischer, Samuel J. Hume, Leonore Klewer, K. Elmo Lowe, William Paterson, Anan Raymond. There are 2 letters from Vachel Lindsay to Samuel J. Hume (1920), and single letters from Sean O'Casey (1959) and Eugene O'Neill (1920). One folder of correspondence deals with the business of the National Theater Conference.
The Cleveland Play House records include minutes, correspondence and historical notes. The Laguna Play house records include plans and documents.
Manuscripts include speeches, articles, and correspondence regarding published works.
The Katherine Wick Kelly papers include diaries (1906-1907, 1913, 1917, and 1926); letters to McConnell, 1923-1926, 1936-1937; letters from Peter Munro Jack, 1930-1934; correspondence with Max Beerbohm, Ruth Gordon, Theresa Helburn, and others, concerning dramatization of Zuleika Dobdon, 1931-1932; and manuscripts of plays.
Stage material includes manuscripts about the Cleveland Play House's open stage with revisions, manuscripts on the Thrust Stage, and material on Laguna Playhouse.
The 1973 addendum contains productions of the Cleveland Playhouse produced and directed by McConnell organized alphabetically by title of work, and publicity for Cleveland Playhouse.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Property rights reside with Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Archival material may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal and/or state right to privacy laws and other regulations.
Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g. a cause of action for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the University of Oregon assumes no responsibility.
If a researcher finds sensitive personal information in a collection, please bring it to the attention of the reading room staff.
[Identification of item], Frederic C. McConnell papers, Ax 513, Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries, Eugene, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Actresses--United States
- Dramatists, American--20th century
- Theater--Production and direction--California--Laguna Beach
- Theater--Production and direction--Ohio--Cleveland
- Theater--United States--History--20th century
- Theatrical producers and directors--United States
- Women dramatists, American--20th century
- Personal Names :
- Beerbohm, Max, Sir, 1872-1956--Correspondence
- Gordon, Ruth, 1896-1985--Correspondence
- Hume, Samuel J. (Samuel James), 1885-1962--Correspondence
- Kelly, Katherine Wick, 1887-1937--Correspondence
- Kelly, Katherine Wick, 1887-1937--Diaries
- Lindsay, Vachel, 1879-1931--Correspondence
- McConnell, Frederic (Frederic Charles), 1890-1968
- McConnell, Frederic (Frederic Charles), 1890-1968--Correspondence
- McConnell, Frederic (Frederic Charles), 1890-1968--Diaries
- O'Casey, Sean, 1880-1964--Correspondence
- O'Neill, Eugene, 1888-1953--Correspondence
- Corporate Names :
- Actors' Equity Association--Records and correspondence.
- Cleveland Play House (Organization : Cleveland, Ohio).
- Laguna Playhouse (Laguna Beach, Calif.) .
- National Theatre Conference.
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Manuscripts for publication