Oregon Transportation Maps, 1940-1944 PDF
- United States. Public Roads Administration
- Oregon Transportation Maps
- 1940-1944 (inclusive)19401944
- 0.5 cubic foot, including 24 maps, (1 map folder)
- Collection Number
- MAPS ORTransport
- The Oregon Transportation Maps were prepared by the U.S. Public Roads Administration and document transportation in Oregon, immediately preceding and during World War II, in 1940 and 1944. The maps depict highways, railroads, canals, air lanes, and dredged channels.
- Oregon State University Libraries, Special Collections and Archives Research Center
Special Collections and Archives Research Center
121 The Valley Library
Oregon State University
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The Oregon Transportation Maps were prepared by the U.S. Public Roads Administration and document transportation in Oregon, immediately preceding and during World War II, in 1940 and 1944. The collection consists of two sets of 12 maps covering the full state of Oregon, issued in 1940 and 1944. The maps are at a scale of 1:250,000 (1 inch = 4 miles). The maps depict highways and other roads, railroads, air lanes, airports, canals, dredged channels, and ferry routes. For highways and roads, the maps indicate if they are federal; state; or forest, park, or public. The type of pavement is indicated for each road or highway. Five different pavement types are shown on these maps -- (1) unimproved; (2) earth, graded and drained; (3) gravel, traffic-bound, selected materials, sand-clay; (4) processed types, surface treatments, water-bound macadam; and (5) brick, cement-concrete, asphaltic-concrete, bituminous macadam.
In addition to transportation networks, the maps depict cities and towns with a population key. They also denote the locations of county seats. Natural features such as lakes, streams, and mountains are also included with their names; the extent of national and state forests, Indian reservations, and other land reserves are shown.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Oregon Transportation Maps (MAPS ORTransport), Oregon State University Special Collections & Archives Research Center, Corvallis, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Geographical Names :
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Transportation maps.