Lawrence A. Burt Papers, 1974-2009 PDF
- Burt, Lawrence A.
- Lawrence A. Burt Papers
- 1974-2009 (inclusive)19742009
- 17 cubic feet, including 83 audiocassettes and 4 videotapes, (17 boxes)
- Collection Number
- MSS Burt
- The Lawrence A. Burt Papers document the teaching, extension, and publishing activities of Burt during his 30 years as a faculty member in Agricultural and Resource Economics and Extension Economist at Oregon State University from 1979 to 2009. Burt's work focused on agribusiness management, marketing of agricultural products, farm management and agricultural finance as well as the management and dissemimation of economic data pertaining to agricultural crops and products.
- Oregon State University Libraries, Special Collections and Archives Research Center
Special Collections and Archives Research Center
121 The Valley Library
Oregon State University
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
- Additional Reference Guides
Preliminary container list available online.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Lawrence A. Burt was a professor of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Extension Economist at Oregon State University from 1979 until his retirement in 2009. During this time, he was Associate Educational Director (1984-1994) and Educational Director (1994-2002) for the Western Agricultural Banking School. Burt taught undergraduate and graduate courses in agribusiness management, agricultural marketing, farm management, and agricultural finance and administered the department's internship program. As Extension Economist he provided oversight for the management and dissemination of economic information pertaining to commercial agricultural commodities through the Oregon Agricultural Information Network (OAIN). Other extension activities included marketing management education for clientele in agricultural and related businesses. Burt participated in the development and programming of the Pacific Northwest Farm Direct Marketing Association. He also worked with colleagues at Oregon State, the University of Idaho, and Washington State University to conduct an annual week-long educational session for agricultural lenders. This was known initially as the Northwest Agricultural Credit School (NACS), then the Western Agricultural Credit School, and most recently as the Western Agricultural Banking School. Burt also participated in preparing educational information and programming related to forming or revitalizing agricultural cooperatives.
Burt earned his BS in Agricultural Business Management from California Polytechnic State University in Pomona in 1973 and his MA (1976) and PhD (1979) degrees from Washington State University, specializing in farm management, agricultural finance, and marketing.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The Lawrence A. Burt Papers document the teaching, extension, and publishing activities of Burt during his 30 years as a faculty member in Agricultural and Resource Economics and Extension Economist at Oregon State University. The Papers include course materials for Agricultural and Resource Economics Department (AREC) classes in agribusiness management, agricultural marketing, farm management, and agricultural finance and personnel management. The course materials consist of syllabi, outlines, handouts, problems, and examinations. Extensive documentation of the Western Agricultural Banking School and its predecessors the Western (and Northwest) Agricultural Credit School as well as the Pacific Northwest Farm Direct Marketing Association Conferences are included. The papers include correspondence, course materials, manuals, meeting minutes, newsletters, newspaper clippings, overhead transparencies, reports and publications, survey materials, and Burt's MA thesis and PhD dissertation. Papers and presentations on a variety of topics including farmers' markets, grass burning research, marketing management and direct marketing, impact of income taxes on agricultural businesses, and farm supply cooperatives are included. Extension Service publications authored by Burt or to which he contributed are part of the collection.
The collection includes sound recordings of sessions at the Pacific Northwest Farm Direct Marketing Association Conferences and two videotape productions, The Entrepreneur's Guide to Planning a Business and Sewing for Profit.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Agricultural education--Oregon.
- Agriculture, Cooperative--Oregon.
- Agriculture--Economic aspects--Oregon.
- Cooperative marketing of farm produce--Oregon.
- Direct marketing--Northwest, Pacific.
- Farm management--Oregon.
- Farm produce--Oregon--Statistics.
- Farmers' markets--Oregon.
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Other Creators :
- Corporate Names :
- Oregon State University. Dept. of Agricultural and Resource Economics. (creator)
- Oregon State University. Extension Service. (creator)