A.P. Dennison papers, 1855-1870 PDF
- Dennison, A. P., 1824-1896
- A.P. Dennison papers
- 1855-1870 (inclusive)18551870
- 0.5 linear feet, (2 containers) : 1 clamshell box, Photograph container
- Collection Number
- A 177
- Originally from Maine, A. P. Dennison (1824-1896) held numerous minor political offices in the Oregon Territory, including Adjutant General. The papers consist of receipts, letters of appointment, reports, and a bound scrapbook.
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
1299 University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
- Additional Reference Guides
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Historical NoteReturn to Top
A native of Bath, Maine, Ammi Prince Dennison (1824-1896) travelled to California in 1849 and moved to Oregon in 1852. He settled a claim on the west bank of Willamette River adjacent to that of John H. Couch & D.H. Lownsdale.
Dennison was receptive to political appointments and election to minor offices. He served as Indian Agent at The Dalles, City Recorder of Portland, and Adjutant General of Oregon.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The papers consist of receipts, deeds, letters of appointment, and a "Biennial Report of the Adjutant General of the State of Oregon" (1872), when Dennison held that office. There is also a scrapbook of clippings and election tickets, and unidentified photographs.
The scrapbook includes a Washington Territory broadside, The Political Views and Opinions of Selucius Garfield, Delegate in Congress from Washington Territory, as Expressed by Himself in Writing, Nov. 28, 1866 (Olympia, W.T., 1869), a letter from Garfield to James W. Nesmith.
Photographs (cartes de visite) in this collection were separated from their original location for preservation purposes. They are filed under call number PH228. Cartes de visite include portraits of women, children, pictures of mechanical devices.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
|Guide to the A.P. Dennison papers|
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Indian agents--Oregon
- Pioneers--Oregon Territory--Correspondence
- Personal Names :
- Dennison, A. P., 1824-1896
- Nesmith, James Willis, 1820-1885--Correspondence
- Corporate Names :
- Oregon. Adjutant-General's Office--Records and correspondence
- Geographical Names :
- Oregon Territory--Militia
- Oregon Territory--Politics and government
- Washington Territory--Politics and government
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Cartes de visite
- Receipts (financial records)