Phrateres Gamma Chapter Scrapbooks, 1930-1962 PDF
- Phrateres. Gamma Chapter (Oregon State University)
- Phrateres Gamma Chapter Scrapbooks
- 1930-1962 (inclusive)19301962
- 2 cubic feet, including 165 photographs, (4 oversize boxes)
- Collection Number
- MSS Phrateres
- The Phrateres Gamma Chapter Scrapbooks were assembled by Oregon State chapter members and document the membership and activities of the organization. The Gamma Chapter was founded at Oregon State College in 1930 as an organization for women students who were not members of a sorority.
- Oregon State University Libraries, Special Collections and Archives Research Center
Special Collections and Archives Research Center
121 The Valley Library
Oregon State University
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
- Additional Reference Guides
Preliminary container list available online. This list includes scrapbook numbers (C-025 and C-027 thru C-035) assigned previously.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Phrateres was founded at the University of California at Los Angeles in 1924 by Dean of Women Helen Mathewson Laughlin as a social and service organization for independent women students who were not members of a sorority; membership was soon extended to any female student who wanted to join. The Gamma Chapter was established at Oregon State College in 1930 and hosted the Phrateres International convention in 1953. The Oregon State Chapter became inactive in the 1960s.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The Phrateres Gamma Chapter Scrapbooks were assembled by Oregon State chapter members and document the membership and activities of the organization. The collection consists of 10 scrapbooks that include clippings, constitutions, newsletters of the national organization, ephemera, and photographs. Ephemera include dance cards, Christmas cards from other chapters, materials from the annual convention, and announcements of activities. The photographs include portrait photographs of officers and members, including cultural minorities; group photographs of members; and snapshots of members and activities, especially dances, picnics, and outings to the Oregon coast.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Phrateres Gamma Chapter Scrapbooks, Oregon State University Archives, Corvallis, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- College students--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Minority college students--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Student activities--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Women--Education (Higher)--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Women--Oregon--Corvallis--Societies and clubs.
- Corporate Names :
- Oregon State College--Societies, etc.
- Oregon State College--Students.
- Oregon State University--Societies, etc.
- Oregon State University--Students.
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Photographic prints.