Alpha Delta Sigma. W.F.G. Thacher Chapter records, 1942-1957 PDF
- Alpha Delta Sigma. W. F. G. Thacher Chapter (University of Oregon)
- Alpha Delta Sigma. W.F.G. Thacher Chapter records
- 1942-1957 (inclusive)19421957
- 0.75 linear feet, (2 containers) : 1 half manuscript box, 1 manuscript box.
- Collection Number
- UA 099
- Alpha Delta Sigma (ADS), a national honor society sponsored by AAF, recognizes and encourages scholastic achievement in advertising studies. The collection includes chapter handbooks and scrapbooks, convention materials, photographs, financial records, correspondence, and membership information, 1942-1957.
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
1299 University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
- Additional Reference Guides
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Historical NoteReturn to Top
The University of Oregon chapter of Alpha Delta Sigma, known as the W.F.G. Thacher Chapter is named after the fraternity's faculty advisor. The fraternity was installed in 1924.
Alpha Delta Sigma (ADS), a national honor society sponsored by AAF, recognizes and encourages scholastic achievement in advertising studies. ADS is the only national, professional advertising honorary society in American higher education. The organization dates back to 1913 when the fraternity was founded at the University of Missouri. In 1969, ADS merged with Gamma Alpha Chi, a similar organization for women. Later, in 1973, ADS merged with the American Advertising Federation. ADS is the only national, professional advertising honorary society in American higher education. Each year hundreds of students from AAF college chapters are nominated and inducted into Alpha Delta Sigma.
[Source: Alpha Delta Sigma website, http://www.aaf.org/default.asp?id=142]
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
Material is organized by accession and includes the following material: (lists are not comprehensive)
Accession: 2005.42.A: scrapbook of Mr. W.F.G. Thacher chapter containing photographs of students, student signatures, correspondence of the advertising honorary society.
Accession: 10217.A: correspondence, chapter handbooks, national convention materials, and photographs.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Advertising--Oregon--Eugene--Societies, etc
- College students--Oregon--Eugene--Societies, etc
- Education, Higher--Oregon--Eugene
- Greek letter societies--Oregon--Eugene
- Universities and colleges--Oregon--Eugene
- Corporate Names :
- University of Oregon
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Financial records