Benson Claire Condit papers, 1906-1954 PDF
- Condit, Benson Claire
- Benson Claire Condit papers
- 1906-1954 (inclusive)19061954
- 12.5 linear feet, (10 containers)
- Collection Number
- Bx 171
- Benson Clare Condit (1869-1960 or 1959) was an electrical engineer who worked operated an engineering consulting business and worked on many water-power electric plants along the Pacific Coast, and was also locator and designer of a 20,000 horsepower hydro-electric plant, "Condit Dam," on the White Salmon River, Washington. The collection contains professional working files that include reports, graphs, plans, specifications, estimates, and photographs for a variety of engineering jobs.
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
UO Libraries--SPC, 1299
University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public.
Collection must be used in Special Collections & University Archives Reading Room.
- Additional Reference Guides
Paper finding aid with additional information is available in Special Collections & University Archives.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Benson Clare Condit (1869-1960 or 1959) was an electrical engineer who operated a consulting business out of Oakland, California and undertook a variety of engineering jobs on the Pacific Coast. Most of the work involved water supply or water-power electric plants.
Condit became President and chief engineer of North Western Electric Company, and locator and designer of their 20,000 horsepower hydro-electric plant, "Condit Dam," on the White Salmon River, Washington.
Source: Condit Family genealogy website: http://www.condit-family.com/ps26/ps26_385.html
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection contains professional working files that include reports, correspondence, graphs, plans, specifications, estimates, notes and drawings, and photographs for a variety of engineering jobs, as well as personal files including college work, tax information, and professional correspondence.
Projects are organized by folio number.
Projects, power and other companies represented in the collection include Portland Lumber Co., Northwestern Electric Co., Lake Marion Power Canal, Olympic Power, Pacific Mills Dam, Crown-Willamette Paper co., Aberdeen, Washington power project, Cushman power project, Oak Grove tunnel, Powell River co., Glines Canyon project, Las Truchas, Mexico dam, Westfir, Oregon dam, Coffer dam, Lebanon, Oregon canal, Scanlon dam, Mountain Copper Mining co., and Albina substation.
There are also three books of drawings for the Condit Plant on the White Salmon river, 1912.
River/water work development projects include White Salmon river, Malhuer river, Clackamas river, Clear lake, Truckee river, Spokane river, Camas lake, Pacific Mills, Ocean Falls, Dean river, Powell river, Nimpkish river, Campbell river, Martin lake tunnel, Nascall and Martin lakes, Lois river, Skagit river, Elwha river, Nanaimp river, and the Uli river.
The collection also includes a few personal records of Condit including college school work, a Canadian tax file, and professional correspondence.
Photographs include images of electrical projects and dam construction.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Property rights reside with Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections & University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Archival material may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal and/or state right to privacy laws and other regulations.
Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g. a cause of action for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the University of Oregon assumes no responsibility.
If a researcher finds sensitive personal information in a collection, please bring it to the attention of the reading room staff.
[Identification of item], Benson Claire Condit papers, Bx 171, Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries, Eugene, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Dam construction
- Hydroelectric power plants--Oregon
- Hydroelectric power plants--United States--Design and construction
- Water-power--Northwest, Pacific
- Geographical Names :
- Columbia River--Power utilization
- White Salmon River (Wash.)