George Henry Williams address, May 16, 1896 PDF
- Williams, George Henry, 1823-1910
- George Henry Williams address
- May 16, 1896 18961896
- 0.025 linear feet, (1 folder)
- Collection Number
- CA 1896 May 16
- George Henry Williams (1823-1910) was an Oregon politician, serving as the chief justice of the Territory of Oregon, as a Republican representing Oregon in the U.S. Senate, as Attorney General of the United States, and as Mayor of Portland. The collection contains an address by Williams delivered at the Marquam Grand Theater in Portland, Oregon on May 16, 1896.
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
UO Libraries--SPC, 1299
University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public.
Collection must be used in Special Collections & University Archives Reading Room.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Historical NoteReturn to Top
George Henry Williams (1823-1910) was born in New York. He was a judge in Iowa before he came to Oregon. He then became the chief justice of the Territory of Oregon, during 1853-1857.
He was a member of the State constitutional convention of Oregon in 1858. Next, he served as a Republican from Oregon in the United States Senate from March 4, 1865, to March 3, 1871. He was unsuccessful in his reelection campaign.
He then served as Attorney General of the United States, under the administration of President Ulysses Grant, from 1872 to 1875. In 1873, he was nominated by President Grant as Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States, but subsequently his name was withdrawn. He went on to become Mayor of Portland, Oregon in 1902, and served until 1905.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
In the twenty-six page typed address, Williams explains why he doesn't support the mayoral campaigns of D. (David) Solis Cohen and ex-governor Pennoyer. Williams states that instead he supports Charles F. Beebe for mayor of Portland.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Property rights reside with Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections & University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Archival material may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal and/or state right to privacy laws and other regulations.
Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g. a cause of action for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the University of Oregon assumes no responsibility.
If a researcher finds sensitive personal information in a collection, please bring it to the attention of the reading room staff.
[Identification of item], George Henry Williams address, CA 1896 May 16, Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries, Eugene, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Personal Names :
- Williams, George Henry, 1823-1910
- Geographical Names :
- Oregon--Politics and government--1859-1950
- Form or Genre Terms :