Ter Ellingson class tapes (Tibet), 1973-1974 PDF
- Ellingson, Ter
- Ter Ellingson class tapes (Tibet)
- 1973-1974 (inclusive)19731974
- 13 items : EC - 5 reels; WT - 4 reels (7 1/2 ips, 1/2 tr. stereo, 10") (see notes); 4 WAV files (48 kHz, 24-bit); Duration: 3:03:13; reprint of Ellingson's article, "The Mathematics of Tibetan Rol Mo" (Ethnomusicology XXIII, No. 2, May 1979); Music 445 class notes; copy of notes on deposit in Archives of Traditional Music (their Ellingson collection # is 81-110-F)
- Collection Number
- Recordings compiled from collector's field recordings and commercial recordings; original field tapes deposited in Archives of Traditional Music, Indiana University.
- University of Washington Ethnomusicology Archives
University of Washington
- Access Restrictions
Unrestricted: collection is open for research.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Ter Ellingson is Professor of Music and Adjunct Professor of Comparative Religion and South Asian Studies at the University of Washington. He holds an M.A., Religion, from the University of Chicago and a Ph.D., Anthropology/Buddhist Studies, from the University of Wisconsin. Ellingson's areas of specialization include Tibet, Nepal, Buddhist Cultures; Ritual, Symbolism, History, Notation/Transcription, Visual Media.
See https://music.washington.edu/people/ter-ellingson for more information.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
Contents summary: Tape 1 - Glu Gzhas; Tape 2 - Regional music; Tape 3 - Ritual vocal music; Tape 4 - Rol Mo
Prof. Ellingson to provide class notes to accompany tapes; reel #5 duplicated by material in collection 87-10, other material not duplicated anywhere else (L.S. and T.E. conversation 11-20-87); reel #5 (EC) was blank so returned to Prof. Ellingson 6/93 in hopes of locating original material (label on side of tape box - Ellingson Tape 5: Dbyangs: Dpyid Glu)
Some documentation scanned into .pdf format. See attachments.
EC analog reels digitized 2/2016 (48 kHz, 24-bit) - 81-46.1.wav (30:29), 81-46.2.wav (39:40), 81-46.3.wav (51:06), 81-46.4.wav (44:23).
Documentation: See list in Notes field
Documentation: photo-copies of tape box notes and examples of musical notation
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
1 audiotape : Audio Reel
1 audiotape : Audio Reel
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Musical Instruments--Tibet
- Music--China--Tibet Autonomous Region
- Tibetans--Asia--Central Asia
- Geographical Names :
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Educational media
- Field recordings
- Instructional materials
- Sound recordings