Mt. Baker Chapter of the Older Women's League records, 1985-1999 PDF
- Mt. Baker Chapter of the Older Women's League
- Mt. Baker Chapter of the Older Women's League records
- 1985-1999 (inclusive)19851999
- 2 linear feet.
- Collection Number
- XOE_CPNWS0053owl (collection)
- The records of the Mt. Baker Chapter of the Older Women’s League document the activities of an organization of women activists based in Bellingham, Washington. The chapter worked to increase awareness of issues affecting older women.
- Western Washington University, Center for Pacific Northwest Studies
Goltz-Murray Archives Building
808 25th St.
- Access Restrictions
The collection is open to the public.
- Funding for preparing this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the Washington State Legislature to the Washington Women's History Consortium. Funding for encoding the finding aid was awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Founded in 1980, the Mt. Baker Chapter of the Older Women’s League comprised an organization of women activists based in Bellingham, Washington. As a local chapter of the national Older Women’s League (OWL) the group worked to increase awareness of socio-economic issues affecting middle-aged and older women. Founding members of the Mt. Baker Chapter included Margaret Keith, Catherine May, Pat Munroe and Grace Kenoyer.
Through community-level advocacy and support for legislative reform, members sought to remedy shortcomings and inequities in areas including employment and wages for older women, pensions, healthcare and social security. In addition to monthly meetings, chapter members held and attended local talks and forums on subjects such as adult health, care giving, housing and homelessness. For Mother’s Day each year, members held fund-raising events and mailed issue-related cards to legislators.
The Mt. Baker Chapter voted to disband in December 1998 due to a shortage of members to act as chapter officers.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
Records of the Mt. Baker Chapter of the Older Women’s League (OWL) document the work of an organization of women activists in Bellingham, Washington. Spanning the period 1985-1999, the collection comprises administrative and financial records, materials documenting chapter activities, and publications.
Administrative records include an outline of the chapter’s history, correspondence, notices and minutes for the chapter’s monthly meetings and membership information. Correspondence contains incoming letters from OWL’s national office and Field Services Director, with information about legislative developments in Washington D.C., and focal issues for local chapters.
Financial records comprise correspondence, record sheets, annual statements and information about chapter dues. Financial correspondence documents some of the Chapter’s contributions to local charities or causes, including donation of remaining funds to the YWCA, Lydia Place, Dorothy Place and Agape House in Bellingham upon its dissolution.
Records documenting chapter activities and interests include national conference reports from OWL's Northwest regional representative and from OWL leadership training in 1996. Subject files contain information regarding the social security system and housing issues.
Publications include copies of the Mt. Baker Chapter newsletter circa 1996-1999 and various newsletters produced by other regional chapters of OWL. National OWL publications include the quarterly OWL Observer, the OWL Field Advocate (a monthly newsletter for OWL activists), annual Mother’s Day Reports, brochures and informational flyers. Non-OWL publications include a small number of newsletters and brochures regarding issues including healthcare and social security, and newspaper clippings about OWL’s history and activities.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Mt. Baker Chapter of the Older Women's League records, Center for Pacific Northwest Studies, Heritage Resources, Western Washington University, Bellingham WA 98225-9123.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
The following section contains a detailed listing of the materials in the collection.
Series I: Administrative Records , 1985-1999 Return to Top
By-laws and articles of incorporation
Chapter Officers and Committee Chair job descriptions
|1989; 1992-1993,; 1995-1996, ; 1998|
|1992-1993, ; 1996,; 1998|
|1985 November – 1993 April; ; 1995 March – 1999 January|
Membership index cards
|1985 November – 1993 April, ; 1995 March – 1999 January|
Chapter organization manual
Blank stationary sample
Yvonne Donelson Administrative and Ideas Folders
Series II : Financial Records , 1986-1999 Return to Top
|1986, ; 1990-1996|
Financial Record Sheets
Financial Statements (Annual)
|1986-1987, ; 1990-1993|
Membership Dues collection
Series III: Activities and interests, 1989-1999Return to Top
|1993, ; 1998|
National Meeting report
|3/3 - 3/5||
OWL Leadership Institute,
|1998, ; undated|
Wonderful Older Women (W.O.W.) Award
Songs for Mother's Day Event (Lyrics)
Photo Album and Clippings Re: Long-Term Care Givers
|1997 – 1999|
|1990 – 1994|
Series IV: Publications, 1988-1999Return to Top
Subseries 1: OWL Publications
Mt. Baker Chapter Newsletters
Other Regional/State OWL Chapter Newsletters
Columbia River (Vancouver Washington)
San Diego County
National OWL Publications
OWL Field Advocate
OWL Mother’s Day Reports
OWL flyers and information (general)
|circa 1991 – 1998|
Subseries 2: Non-OWL Publications
Citizens for the Improvement of Nursing Homes news
Subseries 3: Newspaper Clippings
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Older women -- Political participation -- Washington (State) -- Bellingham (Wash.) -- History -- Sources.
- Older women -- Social action -- Washington (State) -- Bellingham (Wash.) -- History -- Sources.
- Women -- Societies and Clubs -- Washington (State) -- Bellingham (Wash.) -- History -- Sources.
- Women in community organization -- Washington (State) -- Bellingham (Wash.) -- History -- Sources.
- Women social reformers -- Washington (State) -- Bellingham (Wash.) -- History -- Sources.
- Women's rights -- Washington (State) -- Bellingham (Wash.) -- History -- Sources.
- Corporate Names :
- Older Women's League (U.S.). -- Mt. Baker Chapter (Bellingham, Wash.)
- Other Creators :
- Corporate Names :
- Older Women's League (U.S.) (creator)