Collection of autographs of literary and political persons, 1864-1963 PDF
- Eisenhower, Dwight D. (Dwight David), 1890-1969--CorrespondenceEvarts, Hal George, 1915-Ferber, Edna, 1887-1968--CorrespondenceHoover, Herbert, 1874-1964--CorrespondenceMacArthur, Douglas, 1880-1964Pershing, John J. (John Joseph), 1860-1948Sinclair, Upton, 1878-1968--CorrespondenceStevenson, Adlai E. (Adlai Ewing), 1900-1965--CorrespondenceTruman, Harry S., 1884-1972
- Collection of autographs of literary and political persons
- 1864-1963 (inclusive)18641963
- 0.025 linear feet, (1 folder)
- Collection Number
- Coll 390
- This collection (1864-1963) contains letters and autographs from famous literary and political persons including Upton Sinclair, Douglas MacArthur, George (G. C.) Marshall, John J. Pershing, and Booker T. Washington.
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
UO Libraries--SPC, 1299
University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public.
Collection must be used in Special Collections & University Archives Reading Room.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
It is not known who collected the letters in this collection; it was assumed they were collected for the purpose of creating a collection of famous autographs.
The collection contains handwritten and typed letters, and a few papers with just autographs.
There are autographs from:
Upton Sinclair, John P Marquand, Rebecca Biddle Wood, Bob Davis, Wendell Phillips, Herbert Hoover, S. L. Clemens, Alice Cary, Judge Learned Hand, Adlai S, Stevenson, Harry S. Truman, Douglas MacArthur, George (G. C.) Marshall, Hal G. Evarts, Dwight D. Eisenhower, Mary Ellen (?), Edna Ferber, Hugo L. Black, John J. Pershing, Thomas Jefferson Jackson See, John Tallmadge Bergen, Sir Wilfred T. Grenfell, Eva Supusoll (?) Wakefield, John Haynes Holmes, and Booker T. Washington.
Pinned to a letter from John Tallmadge Bergen is a piece of cloth with the words written on it, "Lt. Q. Roosevelt fell with this to his death." The cloth had been clipped from the remnants of the wings of Lieutenant Quentin Roosevelt's plane.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Property rights reside with Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections & University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Archival material may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal and/or state right to privacy laws and other regulations.
Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g. a cause of action for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the University of Oregon assumes no responsibility.
If a researcher finds sensitive personal information in a collection, please bring it to the attention of the reading room staff.
[Identification of item], Collection of autographs of literary and political persons, Coll 390, Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries, Eugene, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Authors, American--20th century
- Generals--United States
- Presidents--United States--Correspondence
- Form or Genre Terms :