Allen and Lewis records, 1851-1868 PDF
- Allen & Lewis (Merchants).Allen, Lucius H.Lewis, Cicero Hunt, 1826-1897
- Allen and Lewis records
- 1851-1868 (inclusive)18511868
- 2.0 linear feet, (2 containers)
- Collection Number
- Bx 002
- Cicero Hunt Lewis (1826-1897) (also known as Cicero Horatius Lewis) and Lucius H. Allen created the Allen and Lewis mercantile company in Portland, Oregon in 1851. The collection contains five ledgers of sales, cash, consignments and account records, 1851-1868.
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
UO Libraries--SPC, 1299
University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public.
Collection must be used in Special Collections & University Archives Reading Room.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Cicero Hunt Lewis (1826-1897) (also known as Cicero Horatius Lewis) and Lucius H. Allen created the Allen and Lewis mercantile company in Portland, Oregon in 1851. The company was one of the first general mercantile stores in Portland.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection contains five ledgers of sales, cash, consignments and account records, 1851-1868.
The cash ledger is from 1851-1857.
The sales ledger is from 1858-1859.
The general sales ledger is from 1857-1862.
The Consignments ledger is from 1857-1868.
There is one oversize account book that is organized by name and includes a name index inside.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
[Identification of item], Allen and Lewis records, Bx 002, Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries, Eugene, Oregon.
Property rights reside with Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections & University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Archival material may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal and/or state right to privacy laws and other regulations.
Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g. a cause of action for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the University of Oregon assumes no responsibility.
If a researcher finds sensitive personal information in a collection, please bring it to the attention of the reading room staff.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Business enterprises--Oregon--Portland
- Business, Industry, and Labor
- Grocers--Oregon Territory
- Grocery trade--Oregon Territory
- Grocery trade--Oregon--Portland
- Merchants--Oregon Territory
- Corporate Names :
- Allen & Lewis (Merchants)--Records and correspondence.
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Account books
- Financial records
- Ledgers (account books)
- Sales records