Ruth H. Kennedy Scrapbook, 1915-1965 PDF
- Kennedy, Ruth H. (Ruth Henrietta), 1897-1967.
- Ruth H. Kennedy Scrapbook
- 1915-1965 (inclusive)19151965
- 0.25 cubic foot, including 20 photographs, (1 oversize box)
- Collection Number
- MSS Kennedy
- The Ruth H. Kennedy Scrapbook was assembled by Kennedy to document her student years at Oregon Agricultural College (OAC) in 1915-1920. Kennedy graduated from OAC in 1920 with a BS in Home Economics.
- Oregon State University Libraries, Special Collections and Archives Research Center
Special Collections and Archives Research Center
121 The Valley Library
Oregon State University
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Ruth Henrietta Kennedy attended Oregon Agricultural College (OAC) in 1915-1920. She enrolled in fall 1915 as a member of the Class of 1919. She was only enrolled for the fall term of the 1917/1918 academic year and therefore did not complete her degree until June 1920. Kennedy was elected Vice President of the Student Assembly in May 1917, the first woman to be elected to this position at OAC. She was a member of the Alphi Chi Omega sorority.
Kennedy was born in Brownell, California on May 9, 1897 and graduated from high school in Corvallis (Oregon) before enrolling at OAC. She was an instructor in home economics at OAC in the early 1920s. By 1925, she was married to a Corvallis physician, Nicholas Linn Tartar. Ruth Kennedy Tartar died in Corvallis on August 27, 1967.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The Ruth H. Kennedy Scrapbook was assembled by Ruth Kennedy to document her student years at Oregon Agricultural College. It has the following handwritten title on the first page: Personal remembrances of Ruth Henrietta Kennedy, Oregon State College, 1920. The scrapbook includes clippings, dance cards, tickets, programs, letters, notes, photographs, and other ephemeral items. The photographs depict Oregon Agricultural College students participating in student activities and outings. The photographs include snapshots, postcard prints, and a few portrait photographs.
Of special note is a newspaper clipping that reports Kennedy's election as Vice President of the Student Assembly as a sophomore and a game program for the 1919 football game between Oregon Agricultural College and the University of Oregon, which was played in Eugene.
The collection includes several loose items that post-date the scrapbook. These include a 1940 conference program for the School of Home Economics 50th anniversary as well as an invitation and program for the 50th anniversary of the Chi Chapter of Alpha Chi Omega that was celebrated in 1965.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Ruth H. Kennedy Scrapbook (MSS Kennedy), Oregon State University Special Collections & Archives Research Center, Corvallis, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- College student government--Oregon--Corvallis.
- College students--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Greek letter societies--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Student activities--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Women--Education (Higher)--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Corporate Names :
- Oregon Agricultural College--Students.
- Oregon Agricultural College. Student Assembly.
- Form or Genre Terms :