Robert Garfias recordings: Music & Dance of the Maranao People, 1966-1970 PDF
- Garfias, Robert
- Robert Garfias recordings: Music & Dance of the Maranao People
- 1966-1970 (inclusive)19661970
- 1 videotapes : EC - 1 vct (VHS, stereo, b&w); Duration: 00:21:00; UW Press film catalog
- Collection Number
- Video copy of film produced by the UW Ethnomusicology Archives and published by University of Washington Press in 1970 (16mm, color) (c1969); out of print 1998.
- University of Washington Ethnomusicology Archives
University of Washington
- Access Restrictions
Access is restricted.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Robert Garfias was born in San Francisco in 1932, the child of Mexican-American parents. As a youngster he studied classical guitar and jazz saxophone. In high school he studied Western classical music composition, and he formed a jazz combo that played gigs for beatniks in the North Beach area of San Francisco, where he traveled in a circle of musicians that included Dave Brubeck, Vince Delgado, Vince Guaraldi, Harry Partch, and Bill Smith. During his career he founded the ethnomusicology program at the University of Washington; served as Dean of Arts at the University of California, Irvine, as a member of the Smithsonian Council, and as a presidential appointee to the U.S. National Council for the Arts; and conducted significant periods of fieldwork and language study in Japan, Okinawa, Korea, the Philippines, Mexico, Zimbabwe, Central America, Burma, Romania, Turkey, Spain, Portugal, and among Okinawans in the United States.
- Society for Ethnomusicology Newsletter (Vol. 7, No. 4, September 2013)
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
Full title: Music and Dance of the Maranao People of Mindanao, the Philippines.
Filmed and recorded by Robert Garfias and Harold Schultz 3/25/66.
1) Kulintan ensemble with dance
2) Kulintan ensemble
3) "Kasaduratan" - Maranao dance
4) "Sinkil" - Maranao stick dance
Front credits: Washington Films/Ethnic Music and Dance Series/ Robert Garfias, editor/University of Washington Press/Seattle and London.
Note: original UW Press film in color.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Folk songs, Maranao
- Kulintang ensemble
- Kulintang music
- Maranao (Philippine people)
- Video recordings in ethnomusicology
- Geographical Names :
- Mindanao Island (Philippines)
- Philippines--Asia--Southeast Asia
- Southeast Asia--Asia--Southeast Asia
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Video recordings