Joseph W. Hill papers, 1896-1941 PDF
- Hill, Joseph W., 1856-1930
- Joseph W. Hill papers
- 1896-1941 (inclusive)18961941
- .33 cubic feet (7 folders)
- Collection Number
- Mss 827
- Collection includes correspondence, receipts, ephemera, records etc. belonging to Joseph W. Hill. Joseph W. Hill, long-time headmaster of the Bishop Scott Academy, founded the Hill Military School and served as its first headmaster until his retirement in the early 1920s.
- Oregon Historical Society Research Library
1200 SW Park Avenue
- Access Restrictions
The collection is open to the public.
- Conversion of this record was made possible by a grant from the National Historic Publications and Records Commission, an agency of the U.S. National Archives and Records Administration.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Joseph W. Hill, long-time headmaster of the Bishop Scott Academy, founded the Hill Military School and served as its first headmaster until his retirement in the early 1920s.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
Collection includes: Correspondence, receipts and records regarding the Bishop Scott Academy, 1896; Correspondence, receipts, ephemera, and miscellaneous records pertaining to the Hill Military Academy, 1901-1941, including the school's participation in several Portland area parades; Correspondence with President Taft and Helen Taft, 1910-1914; Correspondence with the Department of Justice, 1910-1913, regarding pardon requests for Charles A. Straus, William F. Kittenbach and George Kester.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
The Oregon Historical Society is the owner of the materials in the Research Library and makes available reproductions for research, publication, and other uses. Written permission must be obtained from the Research Library prior to any use of reproductions. The Society does not necessarily hold copyright to all the materials in the collections. In some cases, permission for use of reproductions may required seeking additional authorization from the copyright holders.
Joseph W. Hill Papers, Mss 827, Oregon Historical Society.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Military education -- Oregon -- Portland.
- Parades -- Portland (Or.)
- Corporate Names :
- Bishop Scott Academy -- Archives.
- Hill Military Academy (Portland, Or.) -- Archives.
- United States. -- Dept. of Justice. -- Correspondence.
- Family Names :
- Hill, Joseph W., -- 1856-1930 -- Archives.
- Hill, Joseph W., -- 1856-1930 -- Correspondence.
- Kester. George.
- Kittenbach, William F.
- Straus, Charles A.
- Taft, Helen Herron, -- 1861-1943 -- Correspondence.
- Taft, William H. -- (William Howard), -- 1857-1930 -- Correspondence.
- Geographical Names :
- Portland (Or.)
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Financial records. -- aat
- Letters (correspondence) -- aat
- School records. -- aat