No restrictions on use, except: not available through interlibrary loan.
On October 25, 1927, eight ladies met to discuss the formation of a book club. They decided the club would be named the Ladies' Literary Club. (In April of 1928, the club name changed from the Ladies' Literary Club to the Women's Literary Club.) Its object would be to enhance the literary and social culture of its members. The only stipulation for club membership was that potential members had to have a particular interest in literature. Many of the members through the years were wives of Utah State University professors (such as Maria Ellsworth and Grace Arrington). Others members were wives of prominent public figures in Logan (Grace Baugh and Pearl Budge).
Limited to twenty-five members, the group met every other Wednesday, either at the Bluebird Restaurant or a member's home. In a typical meeting a book would be reviewed by a member followed by a social hour. The books typically read by the Women's Literary Club were contemporary publications. The type of literature reviewed covered a variety of topics such as historical works and biographies of artists, writers, or other interesting people. In addition to book discussions, the club often would have musical performers or artists at their bimonthly meetings.
The Women's Literary Club also was particularly devoted to community service. Members of the club donated much of their time to the Red Cross during World War II. (Between 1943 and1944, the club donated 420 hours to this group.) In addition, the club donated many books to public libraries. The Women's Literary Club remained active in both their literary pursuits and their community service through the mid-1990s.
This collection consists of the papers and records of the Women's Literary Club between the years of 1927- 1995. (There is a gap in the minutes between 1978 and 1994.) Materials include of revised constitutions, programs, membership rolls and histories, minutes from the individual meetings, and a scrapbook kept by the club. This collection is of particular interest because of the connection of many of the clubs members to Utah State University and the community of Logan.
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances.
Permission to publish material from the Women's Literary Club Records (Logan, Utah), must be obtained from the Special Collections Manuscript Curator and/or the Special Collections Department Head.
Initial Citation: Women's Literary Club Records (Logan, Utah), USU_COLL MSS 254, Box [ ]. Special Collections and Archives. Utah State University Merrill-Cazier Library. Logan, Utah.
Following Citations:USU_COLL MSS 254, USUSCA.
|1||5||Membership rolls and histories||1929-1940|
|1||6||Membership rolls and histories||1940-1957|
|3||Scrapbook, "Book Review of the Dress Doctor": Styles of 1961 by Edith Head|