Jefferson Myers papers, 1898-1932 PDF
- Myers, Jefferson, d. 1943
- Jefferson Myers papers
- 1898-1932 (inclusive)18981932
- 1.5 linear feet, (3 containers)
- Collection Number
- Coll 191
- Jefferson Myers (c.1860-1943) was a native Oregonian born of pioneer parents, who served as Oregon State Senator, on state commissions, and as a Board of Regent for Oregon Agricultural College. The collection contains material from the Lewis and Clark Centennial Exposition and the Jamestown Tri-Centennial Exposition, as well as personal correspondence, some Oregon state documents, and photographs.
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
UO Libraries--SPC, 1299
University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public.
Collection must be used in Special Collections & University Archives Reading Room.
- Additional Reference Guides
Paper finding aid with additional information is available in Special Collections & University Archives.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Jefferson Myers (c.1860-1943) was a native Oregonian born of pioneer parents, who began his political career as a democratic State Representative almost four years before receiving his B.A. from Willamette University. By the time he graduated in 1893 he had already been a state senator for two years. Meyers also served as chairman of the State Commission for the Lewis and Clark Centennial Exposition, held in Portland from 1902-1905.
Sent by the Oregon state legislature, Meyers was also president of the State Commission for the Jamestown Tri-Centennial Exposition held in Norfolk, Virginia in 1907. In 1914 Meyers was appointed to serve on the Board of Regents of Oregon Agricultural College. He was elected State Treasurer in 1924. His final public duties were as a member of the U.S. Shipping Board.
Meyers was married twice. His first wife Annie F. Jeffery died in 1910 after eleven years of marriage. In 1914 Myers married Helene Rowe. Neither union produced children. Jefferson Meyers died on December 30, 1943.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection contains material from the Lewis and Clark Centennial Exposition and the Jamestown Tri-Centennial Exposition, as well as personal correspondence, some Oregon state documents, and a large collection of photographs. The correspondence is filed by date, from 1906-1932.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Property rights reside with Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to . The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Archival material may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal and/or state right to privacy laws and other regulations.
Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g. a cause of action for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the University of Oregon assumes no responsibility.
If a researcher finds sensitive personal information in a collection, please bring it to the attention of the reading room staff.
[Identification of item], Jefferson Myers papers, Coll 191, Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries, Eugene, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
PapersReturn to Top
Container(s): Box 1-2
Photographs (PH187), 1904-1905Return to Top
PH187_0000: Prints (oversize)
|not yet assigned|
BroadsideReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Personal Names :
- Myers, Jefferson, d. 1943
- Myers, Jefferson, d. 1943--Correspondence
- Corporate Names :
- Jamestown Ter-centennial Exposition (1907).
- Lewis and Clark Centennial Exposition (1905 : Portland, Or.).
- Geographical Names :
- Oregon--Politics and government--1859-1950
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Photographic prints.