Newell G. Philbrick Papers, 1892-1923 PDF
- Philbrick, Newell G. (Newell Gary), 1867-1949
- Newell G. Philbrick Papers
- 3 folders
- Collection Number
- Collection 314, MtBC, us (collection)
- The Newell G. Philbrick Papers consist of correspondence from his mother, brother and sister in Maine, 1892-1898; records dealing with land in Brighton Beach, a subdivision near Portland, Oregon, 1913-1923; documents dealing with the Philbrick Ranch financial transactions, 1892-1915. Included are homestead certificates, deeds, check stubs, invoices, and tax notices.
- Montana State University Library, Merrill G. Burlingame Special Collections
Montana State University-Bozeman Library
Merrill G Burlingame Special Collections
P.O. Box 173320
- Access Restrictions
This collection is open for research.
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Newell Gary Philbrick was born in St. Albans, Maine on January 10, 1867 to Freeman and Frances Philbrick. Philbrick attended schools in Aroostook County and worked the family farm until joining his brother Freeman in Montana in 1891. After arriving in Rosebud, he homesteaded and began a sheep ranch with $7,000 in capital. Despite losing his first herd in a market crash, Newell and his partner, Ernest Thomas, built another outfit with Philbrick eventually owning 10,000 sheep and cattle. In 1902, Newell Philbrick married his ranching partner's sister Myrtle and had two children, Verdie and Dale. During his years in Rosebud County, Newell was a director of the Rosebud State Bank and was an Odd Fellow. He died on August 23, 1949.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The Newell G. Philbrick papers consist of: correspondence from his mother, brother and sister in Maine, 1892-1898; records dealing with land in Brighton Beach, a subdivision near Portland, Oregon, 1913-1923; documents dealing with the Philbrick Ranch financial transactions, 1892-1915. Included are homestead certificates, deeds, check stubs, invoices, and tax notices.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Ranchers-Montana-Rosebud County
- Ranching-Montana-Rosebud County
- Real property-Oregon-Portland
- Family Names :
- Philbrick family-Correspondence
- Geographical Names :
- Brighton Beach (Portland, Or.)
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Financial records-Montana-Rosebud
- Personal papers-Montana-Rosebud