Humiston, Wilson and Company records, 1859-1864 PDF
- Humiston, Wilson, and Company (Portland, Or.)
- Humiston, Wilson and Company records
- 1859-1864 (inclusive)18591864
- .9 cubic feet (2 document cases)
- Collection Number
- Mss 862
- Business papers of a wholesale liquor company of Portland, Oregon, including saloon orders (1862-1864) from eastern Oregon, Washington, Idaho mining camps and towns, which include news of the mines and business conditions in those areas. Also included are papers of the company's predecessor, Humiston and Ma'Dan (1859-1862).
- Oregon Historical Society, Davies Family Research Library
Davies Family Research Library
Oregon Historical Society
1200 SW Park Avenue
- Access Restrictions
The collection is open to the public.
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Humiston, Wilson and Company were wholesale liquor dealers of Portland, Oregon, with premises on Front Street. The firm's predecessor was Humiston and Ma'Dan, but the name was changed to Humiston, Wilson and Company after reorganization in 1862. The company did business with saloons in the mining districts of eastern Oregon and received most of its stock from San Francisco. The principal partner was C. N. Humiston, who went on to become a money and stock broker in Portland and died in San Francisco in 1866.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection includes saloon orders (1862-1864) from eastern Oregon, Washington, and Idaho mining camps and towns, which include news of the mines and business conditions in those areas; and correspondence and ledger book (1859-1862) of the predecessor firm, Humiston and Ma'Dan. The ledger contains names of the firm's customers, among them prominent citizens of Portland.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
The Oregon Historical Society is the owner of the materials in the Research Library and makes available reproductions for research, publication, and other uses. Written permission must be obtained from the Research Library before any publication use. The Society does not necessarily hold copyright to all of the materials in the collections. In some cases, permission for use may require seeking additional authorization from the copyright owners.
Humiston, Wilson and Company records, Mss862, Oregon Historical Society Research Library
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
Series A: General correspondence, Humiston and Ma'Dan, 1859-1862Return to Top
|1/8||1862 July-August; undated|
Series B: Saloon orders and other papers, 1862-1864Return to Top
Albany through Butteville
Canyon City through Collins Landing
Lewiston through Salem
Scio through Umatilla Landing
Series C: Ledger and general materials, 1859-1864Return to Top
Letters from William Barlow and W. L. Harper, LaFayette, Or.
Ledger book, Hamiston and Ma'Dan
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Liquor industry--Oregon--History
- Mining camps--Washington (State)--History
- Mining camps--Idaho--History
- Mining camps--Oregon--History
- Personal Names :
- Humiston, C. N., d. 1866.
- Corporate Names :
- Humiston and Ma'Dan (Portland, Or.)
- Humiston, Wilson and Company (Portland, Or.)
- Geographical Names :
- Portland (Or.)--History
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Letters (correspondence)