Gertrude Jewett Greeley oral history, 1960 PDF
- Greeley, Gertrude Jewett, 1878-
- Gertrude Jewett Greeley oral history
- 0.1 linear feet, (1 folder)
- Collection Number
- CB G819
- Gertrude Jewett was the wife of William Buckhout Greeley, a forester and conservationist who worked during the first half of the twentieth century. Mrs. Greeley worked closely with her husband. The collection contains an oral interview of Gertrude Jewett from 1960 regarding her husband's career.
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
1299 University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public.
Collection must be used in Special Collections & University Archives Reading Room.
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Mrs. (Gertrude Jewett) William Buckhout Greeley was born in 1878. The daughter of a congregational pastor, Gertrude attended University of California where she met William Buckhout Greeley. She worked as a public school teacher in California for five years, while William attended Yale University. In the summer of 1907, William returned to California and married Gertrude. The couple moved to New Haven, back to California, and then to Washington D. C. where they lived until 1929. Gertrude stayed interested in her husband's professional work throughout their marriage and was active in the local civic association.
Source: George T. Morgan, Jr., William B. Greeley: A Practical Forester (St. Paul, Minnesota: Forest History Society, Inc., 1961).
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection consists of an oral history interview with Mrs. William B. Greeley in Suquamish, Washington, in 1960, on the subject of her husband. The interview was conducted by Elwood R. Maunder, Forest History Foundation, Inc.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Property rights reside with Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections & University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Archival material may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal and/or state right to privacy laws and other regulations.
Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g. a cause of action for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the University of Oregon assumes no responsibility.
If a researcher finds sensitive personal information in a collection, please bring it to the attention of the reading room staff.
[Identification of item], Gertrude Jewett Greeley Oral History, CB G819, Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries, Eugene, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
|Oral history interview, Mrs. William B. Greeley
Interviewed on the subject of William B. Greeley's career.
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Foresters--United States
- Forests and forestry--United States
- Personal Names :
- Greeley, Gertrude Jewett, 1878---Archives
- Greeley, William Buckhout, 1879-1955
- Corporate Names :
- United States. Forest Service--Officials and employees
- West Coast Lumbermen's Association
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Oral histories