- Oregon State University. Associated Women Students.
- Associated Women Students Scrapbook
- 1966-1967 (inclusive)19661967
- 0.15 cubic foot, including 3 photographs, (1 oversize box)
- Collection Number
- MSS AWS
- The Associated Women Students Scrapbook documents activities and programs for women at Oregon State University and includes clippings, programs, flyers, and photographs.
- Oregon State University Libraries, Special Collections and Archives Research Center
Special Collections and Archives Research Center
121 The Valley Library
Oregon State University
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
The Associated Women Students was established at Oregon State in 1924 with the purpose of furthering the educational, social, and cultural aims of women; all women students, alumni, and faculty were members. The organization served as an umbrella organization for all women's living groups, honorary societies, and clubs on campus and sponsored a variety of activities. The Dean of Women served as an advisor and administrative liaison with the organization. The Associated Women Students became inactive in June 1970.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The Associated Women Students Scrapbook documents activities and programs for women at Oregon State University and includes clippings, programs, flyers, ephemera, and photographs. Several clippings pertain to an evaluation of the purpose and effectiveness of the organization. The scrapbook includes announcements or programs for the Coed Congress, the Women's Honor Assembly, a planning retreat, and the regional Associated Women Students conference. Many of the clippings are of the As Women Say column written by officers of the organization and published in the Barometer campus newspaper. Several clippings report on the appointment of Jo Ann Johnson (Trow) as Dean of Women; one of the photographs depicts Johnson. The scrapbook also includes flyers for a wig workshop and the annual Paw Paw Pick.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Associated Women Students Scrapbook, Oregon State University Archives, Corvallis, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Associated Women Students publications, such as the Coed Code and AWS Handbook, are available in the Archives' Publications Collections. The Dean of Women's Office Records (RG 057) document the Dean's oversight of women's activies and programs at Oregon State. The Archives' holdings include numerous collections documenting women students including the Activities of Women Scrapbook, Alpha Lambda Delta Records, Coed Cottage Records, and Oregon State University Women's Basketball and Field Hockey Scrapboooks. Additional information about women's intercollegiate and intramural sports are part of the College of Health and Human Performance Records (RG 031) and the Women's Recreation Association Photographic Collection (P 171).
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- College students--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Deans of women--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Student activities--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Women--Education (Higher)--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Women--Oregon--Corvallis--Societies and clubs.
- Trow, Jo Anne J.
- Oregon State University--Students.
Form or Genre Terms
- Photographic prints.