Frederick V. Betts Scrapbook, 1926-1964 PDF
- Betts, Frederick V., 1908-2002.
- Frederick V. Betts Scrapbook
- 1926-1964 (inclusive)19261964
- 0.4 cubic foot, including 376 photographs, (1 oversize box)
- Collection Number
- MSS Betts
- The Frederick V. Betts Scrapbook consists of photographs and ephemera created and assembled by Betts during this student years at Oregon Agricultural College in 1926-1928. Betts was a member of the Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity, whose members and activities are extensively depicted in the scrapbook.
- Oregon State University Libraries, Special Collections and Archives Research Center
Special Collections and Archives Research Center
121 The Valley Library
Oregon State University
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Frederick V. Betts attended Oregon Agricultural College for the 1926/1927 and 1927/1928 academic years as a student in commerce. He was a member of the Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity.
A native of Seattle, Betts was born on June 8, 1908 and graduated from Queen Ann High School in Seattle. Betts earned a law degree from the University of Washington in 1933 and co-founded the Seattle law firm, Betts, Patterson, and Mines. He died in Seattle on July 4, 2002.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The Frederick V. Betts Scrapbook consists of photographs and ephemera created and assembled by Betts during his student years at Oregon Agricultural College in 1926-1928. Most of the photographs are snapshots depicting students and student activities. Interior and exterior views of the Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity house are included as well as images of fraternity activities and rituals, such as "bowing before the ghost". The scrapbook includes photographs of campus buildings, snow on campus, a flood in downtown Corvallis, and recreation on the Willamette and Marys Rivers. Student outings; campus events such as homecoming; various athletic events, including football, track, and rowing; and military cadets are depicted. Snapshots of college president William Jasper Kerr are also included.
Ephemeral items include decals, dance cards, event programs, greeting cards, newspaper clippings, receipts, grade reports, and student election materials. Sigma Phi Epsilon newsletters and materials from the Sigma Phi Epsilon conclave in Seattle in August 1928 are included.
The collection also includes several loose photographs that are not affixed into the scrapbook. Two of these are of Sigma Phi Epsilon members in 1958 and 1964.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Frederick V. Betts Scrapbook, Oregon State University Archives, Corvallis, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- College buildings--Oregon--Corvallis.
- College environment--Oregon--Corvallis.
- College sports--Oregon--Corvallis.
- College students--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Greek letter societies--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Military education--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Student activities--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Personal Names :
- Kerr, William Jasper, 1863-1947.
- Corporate Names :
- Oregon Agricultural College--Buildings.
- Oregon Agricultural College--Students.
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Photographic prints.
- Other Creators :
- Corporate Names :
- Sigma Phi Epsilon. (creator)
- Sigma Phi Epsilon. Oregon Alpha Chapter. (creator)