Walter E. Meacham Papers, circa 1925-1945 PDF
- Meacham, Walter E., 1879-1951
- Walter E. Meacham Papers
- .45 cubic feet (1 document case)
- Collection Number
- Mss 2479
- Typescripts for books and articles by Oregon historian and preservationist Walter Meacham, including typescripts of "Wagon wheels," "Stories of pioneer women," and "He walked with Lincoln."
- Oregon Historical Society, Davies Family Research Library
Davies Family Research Library
Oregon Historical Society
1200 SW Park Avenue
- Access Restrictions
The collection is open to the public.
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Walter Meacham was a descendant of Oregon pioneers who wrote on subjects relating to overland journeys. He was the long-time leader of the Old Oregon Trail Association.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection consists of typescripts of drafts of "Wagon wheels," "Stories of pioneer women," "Stories of pioneer men," and "He walked with Lincoln" (the story of Colonel Edward Dickinson Baker). Also included are typescripts of Meacham's poetry; sheet music for Isa Botton's song Oregon : the land our fathers won (1938) for which Meacham wrote the words; and copies of newspaper clippings containing Meacham's writings on the Lewis and Clark expedition, 1945.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
The Oregon Historical Society is the owner of the materials in the Research Library and makes available reproductions for research, publication, and other uses. Written permission must be obtained from the Research Library before any publication use. The Society does not necessarily hold copyright to all of the materials in the collections. In some cases, permission for use may require seeking additional authorization from the copyright owners.
Walter E. Meacham papers, Mss2479, Oregon Historical Society Research Library
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
Typescripts and Drafts. Title page and front matter
|3||4 versions of "First wagons to cross the Rockies"||undated|
|4||3 versions of chapter on "Jed Smith"||undated|
|5||3 versions of "Whitman makes history"||undated|
|6||2 versions of "Mountain men"; 3 versions of "Bidwell-Bartleson"||undated|
|7||2 versions of "Emigration of 1842"; and "The road that won an empire"||undated|
|8||"The cow column" and various versions of "Trail in 1844"||undated|
|9||3 versions of "Wagons to the Willamette"||undated|
|10||"Lost wagon train" and "Blue bucket gold"||undated|
|11||3 chapters on immigration of 1846||undated|
|12||2 versions of "The Mormons"||undated|
|13||3 chapters covering 1848-1849||undated|
|14||5 chapters covering 1862||undated|
|15||Chapters covering 1853-1860s||undated|
|17||"Stories of pioneer women"||undated|
|18||"Stories of pioneer men"||undated|
|19-25||"He walked with Lincoln"||undated|
|26||Sheet music for Oregon : the land our fathers won||1938|
|27||Newspaper clippings, including articles on the Lewis and Clark expedition and Meacham's obituaries.||1945-1951|
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Overland journeys to the Pacific.
- Women pioneers--United States.
- Personal Names :
- Baker, Edward Dickenson, 1811-1861.
- Botten, Isa.
- Lincoln, Abraham.
- Meacham, Walter E., 1879-1951. (creator)
- Geographical Names :
- Oregon National Historic Trail.
- Oregon--History--To 1859.
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865.
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Manuscripts for publication.
- Sheet music.
- Titles within the Collection :
- Oregon : the land our fathers won.