The Pass Creek film was produced by Dick Snider and Hal Riney, advertising executives and avid fishermen, in conjunction with the North Umpqua Steamboaters. The film and all rights were transferred by the filmmakers to Oregon State University (specifically the Department of Fisheries and Wildlife) in 1968. James D. (Jim) Hall, Professor of Fisheries, was the primary contact for promotion and distribution of the film on behalf of the department. The film was widely distributed and viewed in Oregon and throughout the United States through the 1970s and was influential in changing logging practices in the Northwest.
Hal Patrick Riney (1932-2008) was an advertising executive in San Franciso. Dick Snider (1929-1977) was a filmmaker who collaborated with Riney on other productions.
The Pass Creek Motion Picture Film Collection consists of the Pass Creek film and records documenting the production and distribution of the film. The 10-minute color film (with soundtrack) documents the impact of clearcut logging on the small tributary streams of the Oregon's North Umpqua River Basin and includes underwater footage; scenes of logging equipment, roads, and practices; and views of streams and the North Umpqua River.
The film is narrated by Scott Beach.
The documentary materials in the collection consist of correspondence between Jim Hall of the OSU Department of Fisheries and Wildlife and the film makers and the deed of gift for the film; a compilation of materials about the making of the film, apparently prepared by the film makers; and Jim Hall’s file pertaining to the film. Hall's file consists primarily of correspondence pertaining to showings of the film, publicity and promotion, and copies purchased by other organizations.
The collection includes a 16 mm film duplicate and a VHS videotape duplicate made in 1993. The location of the original film elements is unknown. A duplication master and DVD use copy are available in the Archives. The full film is available online as a streaming media file: View film.
Pass Creek Motion Picture Film Collection (FV P 273), Oregon State University Archives, Corvallis, Oregon.