The Industrial Arts Department in the School of Engineering provided training for industrial managers, industrial engineers, industrial teachers for the public schools, and industrial designers and artisans.
George B. Cox was Professor of Industrial Arts Education and Director of the Engineering Shops from 1927 until his retirement in 1961. He earned an MS in Education from Oregon State College in 1940.
The Industrial Arts Department Motion Picture Film consists of Building Boy Builders, produced by George B. Cox; the State Building Congress; and Western Forest Products. The film documents a program to encourage vocational training in the building and construction trades and includes footage of teacher training and high school students building model-sized homes. It credits the work of O.G. Hughson in this program. The film is a color, silent 16 mm production about 18 min (475 feet) in length. It exhibits some shrinkage and warping.
Industrial Arts Department Motion Picture Film (FV P 189), Oregon State University Archives, Corvallis, Oregon.