Iona Irving Ferguson Collection, 1911-1924 PDF
- Ferguson, Iona Irving.
- Iona Irving Ferguson Collection
- 1911-1924 (bulk)19111924
- 0.15 cubic feet, including 2 photographs, (2 boxes, including 1 oversize box)
- Collection Number
- The Iona Irving Ferguson Collection consists of ephemera assembled by Iona Margaret Irving, primarily during her student years at Oregon Agricultural College (OAC). Irving graduated from OAC in 1915 with a BS in Home Economics and married Oscar Ferguson, a 1916 OAC graduate, in 1917.
- Oregon State University Libraries, Special Collections and Archives Research Center
Special Collections and Archives Research Center
121 The Valley Library
Oregon State University
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Iona Margaret Irving enrolled at Oregon Agricultural College (OAC) in September 1911 and graduated in 1915 with a BS in Home Economics. She attended summer sessions at OAC in 1916, 1923, and 1926 and was enrolled as a graduate student in spring term of 1925. Irving married Oscar Ferguson, a 1916 graduate of OAC, in 1917; they lived in Kansas City, Chicago, and Eastern Oregon during the next several years and by the mid-1920s were living in Selma, California.
Iona was born August 23, 1893 in Salem, Oregon; she graduated from Central High School, in Washington, DC. She died in California in 1992.
Additional information about the Irving family is available in the central file for this collection.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The Iona Irving Ferguson Collection consists of ephemera assembled by Iona Margaret Irving, primarily during her student years at Oregon Agricultural College. The collection includes invitations, dance cards, and programs as well as newspaper clippings, postcards, publications, a grade report, and artifacts. Of special note is a student account book, sold by the College Bookstore, in which she tracked her income (receipts) and expenditures (payments) by month. The book includes several receipts from local Corvallis busineses.
The publications include a 1917 alumni directory, commencement programs, and a 1924 history of the Classes of 1914 and 1915. The artifacts include a ribbon, pins, a felt sash with for the Class of 1915, two medals from a Golden Jubilee alumni reunion, a decorative leather memory book, and a souvenir coin from the 1893 Columbia Exposition.
The collection includes two photographs. One is a photographic postcard of members of the Margaret Snell Club, all dressed in white, with Snell in front of Waldo Hall. The second is a hand-colored image of Iona in her graduation cap and gown.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Iona Irving Ferguson Collection, Oregon State University Archives, Corvallis, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- College costs--Oregon--Corvallis.
- College students--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Student activities--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Corporate Names :
- Oregon Agricultural College--Students.
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Dance cards.
- Photographic prints.
- Photographic postcards.