Oral history interviews of the Mountain Rescue Association Oral History Project, 2013 PDF
- Mountain Rescue Association Oral History Project
- Oral history interviews of the Mountain Rescue Association Oral History Project
- 2013 (inclusive)20132013
- 1 vertical file plus 4 DVD-Rs
- Collection Number
- 5984 (Accession No. 5984-001)
- The Mountain Rescue Association (MRA) Oral History Project endeavors to capture the stories of MRA members and their experiences and contributions to mountain rescue.
- University of Washington Libraries, Special Collections
University of Washington Libraries
- Access Restrictions
Open to all users.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
The Mountain Rescue Association (MRA) Oral History Project endeavors to capture the stories of MRA members and their experiences and contributions to mountain rescue. The Project is coordinated by the University of Washington Libraries Special Collections and the MRA History Committee. MRA members are encouraged to participate by taking time to interview members whose stories can help preserve the history of the MRA and the work that has been accomplished since its founding in 1959.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
Interviews with Mountain Rescue Association members John Arnold, Rodger Beckett, Charles Eichenberger, and Rocky Henderson. Interview topics include the development of the Mountain Rescue Association; the invention and development of the hydraulic sarong for emergency treatment of hypothermia; the development of Olympic Mountain Rescue (including member training, rescues on Mount St. Helens, and women's involvement); the development of Bellingham Mountain Rescue Council and other similar groups; rescues from Mount Baker, Mount Sefrit, and the Nooksack River; Portland Mountain Rescue; and tracking technology.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Listen to the interviews and view the transcripts for this collection on the Libraries' Digital Collections website.
Informant's and creator's rights dedicated to the public. May be used for research, instruction, publication or similar purposes.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Search and rescue operations--Oregon
- Search and rescue operations--Washington (State)
- Corporate Names :
- Mountain Rescue Association
- Olympic Mountain Rescue (Society)
- Geographical Names :
- Saint Helens, Mount (Wash.)--Search and rescue operations
- Other Creators :
- Corporate Names :
- Mountain Rescue Association (associated name)