Robert Garfias recordings: Eubie Blake/piano & vocals, 1970-11-09 PDF
- Garfias, Robert; University of Washington Ethnomusicology Archives
- Robert Garfias recordings: Eubie Blake/piano & vocals
- 4 items : OT - 2 reels (15 ips, full-track, 7"); 2 WAV files (48 kHz, 24-bit); Duration: 00:22:04
- Collection Number
- Musical performance by Eubie Blake recorded and filmed at the University of Washington, Music Auditorium, 11/9/70.
- University of Washington Ethnomusicology Archives
University of Washington
- Access Restrictions
Access is restricted.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Robert Garfias was born in San Francisco in 1932, the child of Mexican-American parents. As a youngster he studied classical guitar and jazz saxophone. In high school he studied Western classical music composition, and he formed a jazz combo that played gigs for beatniks in the North Beach area of San Francisco, where he traveled in a circle of musicians that included Dave Brubeck, Vince Delgado, Vince Guaraldi, Harry Partch, and Bill Smith. During his career he founded the ethnomusicology program at the University of Washington; served as Dean of Arts at the University of California, Irvine, as a member of the Smithsonian Council, and as a presidential appointee to the U.S. National Council for the Arts; and conducted significant periods of fieldwork and language study in Japan, Okinawa, Korea, the Philippines, Mexico, Zimbabwe, Central America, Burma, Romania, Turkey, Spain, Portugal, and among Okinawans in the United States.
- Society for Ethnomusicology Newsletter (Vol. 7, No. 4, September 2013)
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
Contents: (announcements by Eubie Blake)
70-10.1 - Charleston Rag; Brittwood Rag (improvised); Memories of You.
70-10.2 - Tricky Fingers; Stars and Stripes Forever; As Long As You Live.
Related collection: 2006-18.1 EC - DigiBeta master of film; 2006-18.1 WD - DVD copy of DigiBeta tape.
Audio tapes digitized 3/2016 (WAV, 48 kHz, 24-bit) - 70-10.1.wav (11:47), 70-10.2.wav (10:17)
Documentation: the film documentation file includes a biography of Eubie Blake and notes on the tunes performed on these tapes.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
1 audiotape : Audio Reel
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- African Americans--North America--Regional and Ethnic Cultures
- Piano music
- Popular Music
- Popular Music--United States
- Corporate Names :
- Music Building (Seattle, Wash.)
- Geographical Names :
- North America
- Seattle (Wash.)
- United States
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Video recordings
- Other Creators :
- Personal Names :
- Blake, Eubie, 1887-1983 (performer)