Collection is open for research.
The OSC Suski Ski Club was founded in 1947 as a student organization to promote skiing. In November 1947, the club members voted to change the name to the OSC Mountain Club and include other outdoor activities, such as mountain climbing. The club sponsored ski outings to Cascade ski areas, such as Hoodoo, and participated in ski races with other colleges and universities. It also sponsored mountain climbs, instruction classes on climbing, and films and lectures. Club members often participated in mountain rescue activities. The club published a newsletter, the Local Yodel.
The outdoor activities of the club became the basis for the OSU Outdoor Program, established about 1971, which is now the Outdoor Recreation Center. The OSU Mountain Club currently holds monthly meetings.
The two scrapbooks, which cover 1948-1957 and 1962, consist of newspaper clippings, photographs, flyers, sample newsletters, and ephemeral items documenting the club's skiing, mountaineering, and rescue activities, as well as activities of the club's current and former members.
The constitution probably dates from the early 1960s. Meeting minutes date from 1947-1950, 1953-1954, and 1967-1969. Holdings of the club's newsletter, the Local Yodel, are from 1949-1952, 1954, 1962, and 1967-1971. Many of the issues from 1949-1952 are located in the first scrapbook. The Mountain Rescue Association materials (1959-1975) include correspondence, Corvallis Unit member lists, photographs of practice rescues and other information.
The miscellaneous materials include correspondence between Willi Unsoeld, Barry Corbett, and others regarding a mountaineering film Corbett was planning (1959-1960); and annual organization review forms from the Student Activities Committee (1971/72-1973/74).
Oregon State University Mountain Club Records, Oregon State University Archives, Corvallis, Oregon.