Robert Garfias film session recordings: Necdet Yaşar/tanbur, 1973-05-31 PDF
- Garfias, Robert; University of Washington Ethnomusicology Archives
- Robert Garfias film session recordings: Necdet Yaşar/tanbur
- 2 items : OT - 1 reel (7 1/2 ips, 1/2 tr. stereo, 7"); 1 WAV file (24 kHz, 24-bit); Duration: 00:22:07; also see film log II.
- Collection Number
- Performance by Necdet Yaşar (Turkish tanbur lute player and former professor at the University of Washington), recorded at the University of Washington 5/31/73.
- University of Washington Ethnomusicology Archives
University of Washington
- Access Restrictions
Access is restricted.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Robert Garfias was born in San Francisco in 1932, the child of Mexican-American parents. As a youngster he studied classical guitar and jazz saxophone. In high school he studied Western classical music composition, and he formed a jazz combo that played gigs for beatniks in the North Beach area of San Francisco, where he traveled in a circle of musicians that included Dave Brubeck, Vince Delgado, Vince Guaraldi, Harry Partch, and Bill Smith. During his career he founded the ethnomusicology program at the University of Washington; served as Dean of Arts at the University of California, Irvine, as a member of the Smithsonian Council, and as a presidential appointee to the U.S. National Council for the Arts; and conducted significant periods of fieldwork and language study in Japan, Okinawa, Korea, the Philippines, Mexico, Zimbabwe, Central America, Burma, Romania, Turkey, Spain, Portugal, and among Okinawans in the United States.
- Society for Ethnomusicology Newsletter (Vol. 7, No. 4, September 2013)
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
Recorded by Robert Garfias.
Tape noted missing 1990; recovered 8/2015 and digitized.
Contents: (from original archive sheet)
Film no. S-075 - 1) Taksim: Nihavent Makam; 2) Saz Samaisi: Nihavent Makam - 1st hane, refrain, 4th hane, refrain- stops and repeats 4th hane after 4'24"; 3) Nihavent Sirto; 4) Taksim: Zavil Makam. Remarks (from original archive sheet): stops 4'24" into take; repeats 4th hane, then continues for 5'40". Film runs out @2 min. before music. First @1min. of fim is test for pilot tone signal.
Film no. S-076 - 1) Taksim: Huzzam; 2) Pesrev: Huzzam; 3) Taksim: Huzzam; 4) Saz Semaisi: Huzzam; Rast Taksim Nikriz. Remarks (from original archive sheet): Pilot signal lost at @4'30" returned at 4'55" (loose connection); loses synch toward end.
See also Robert Garfias' website for film excerpts: http://itc.uci.edu/%7Ergarfias/kiosk/media.html
Documentation: Contents list from Garfias website
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Folk music--Turkey
- Tanbura (Lute)
- Turks--Middle East--Middle East
- Video recordings in ethnomusicology
- Geographical Names :
- Middle East--Middle East--General Middle East
- Seattle (Wash.)
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Video recordings
- Other Creators :
- Personal Names :
- Yaşar, Necdet (performer)