Laura R. Merrill papers, 1938-1964 PDF
- Merrill, Laura Liona Rees, 1876-1963.
- Laura R. Merrill papers
- 1938-1964 (inclusive)19381964
- 6 boxes, (3 linear ft. )
- Collection Number
- USU_COLL MSS 119
- Bulk of the material is outgoing correspondence to her sons Dean and Asa Merrill (1940-1960). There is also a small amount of correspondence to and from Dean Merrill, mostly concerning his mother. Other correspondents include friends and other family members. The letters written by Merrill mainly recount happenings in Logan and in her personal life. The remainder of the collection contains personal material of Laura Merrill. Most significant here are a series of journals (1938, 1940-1943, 1946-1961 intermittent). Typewritten summaries are available with the journals. Also, the collection has personal material from Merrill's missions with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS) and some Merrill family history. Material associated with the Central Utah Relocation Camp (Topaz Japanese internment camp) includes correspondence from former inmates (mostly cards with brief notes) and a few miscellaneous papers, but does not include a record of Merrill's experiences working in the camp library.
- Utah State University, Merrill-Cazier Library, Special Collections and Archives Division
Special Collections & Archives
Utah State University
- Access Restrictions
Open to public research.
- Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) grant, 2007-2008
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Laura Merrill was a long time resident of Logan, Utah. Born in Brigham City on 6 February 1876. After having only formal education to the eighth grade available to her, she studied and passed the teacher's exam and taught primary school. When requirements were raised, she attended Utah State Agricultural College in Logan, Utah, becoming one of the first women to attend. She then taught in Portage and Brigham City, Utah. Married to Lorin Asa Merrill on 13 June 1900, she bore eight children before her husband's death in 1919. Merrill then served six years as Cache County Recorder (1920-1926). In 1927, she studied Library Science at the University of Washington in Seattle, then returned to become the librarian at Logan High School, where she worked intermittently from 1922 through 1961. Merrill served two missions: Canada (1946-1948) and the Eastern States (1941-1943). Merrill also worked at the Topaz Japanese internment camp in 1944.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
Bulk of the material is outgoing correspondence to her sons Dean and Asa Merill (1940-1960). There is also a small amount of correspondence to and from Dean Merrill, mostly concerning his mother. Other correspondents include friends and other family members. The letters written by Merrill mainly recount happenings in Logan and in her personal life.
The remainder of the collection contains personal material of Laura Merrill. Most signficant here are a series of journals (1938, 1940-1943, 1946-1961 intermittent). Typewritten summaries are available with the journals. Also, the collection has personal material from Merrill's mission with the L.D.S. Church and some Merrill family history.
The collection does not include a record of Merrill's experiences working in the Topaz Japanese internment camp library. Material associated with the Utah Relocation Camp include correspondence, mostly cards with brief notes and a few miscellaneous papers.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
It is the responsibility of the user to obtain permission to publish from the owner of the copyright (the institution, the creator of the record, the author or his/her transferees, heirs, legates, or literary executors). The user agrees to indemnify and hold harmless the Utah State University Libraries, its officers, employees, and agents from and against all claims made by any person asserting that he or she is an owner of copyright.
Permission to publish material from the Laura R. Merrill papers must be obtained from the Special Collections Manuscript Curator and/or the Special Collections Department Head.
Laura R. Merrill papers, 1938-1964. (COLL MSS 119). Utah State University. Special Collections and Archives Department.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
|1||1||To Dorothy Bailey||1949|
|1||2||To Elizabeth Burnhamer||1946|
|1||3||To Asa J. and Ann Merrill||1946-1961|
|1||4||To Dean Merrill||Undated|
|1||5||To Dean Merrill||1940|
|1||6-7||To Dean Merrill||1941|
|1||8-11||To Dean Merrill||1943|
|1||12-13||To Dean Merrill||1944|
|1||14-15||To Dean Merrill||1945|
|1||16-17||To Dean Merrill||1946|
|2||1||To Dean Merrill||1947|
|2||2-3||To Dean Merrill||1948|
|2||4||To Dean Merrill||1949|
|2||5||To Dean Merrill||1950|
|2||6||To Dean Merrill||1951|
|2||7||To Dean Merrill||1952|
|2||8||Io Dean Merrill||1953|
|2||9-10||To Dean Merrill||1954|
|2||11||To Dean Merrill||1955|
|2||12-13||To Dean Merrill||1956|
|2||14-15||To Dean Merrill||1957|
|2||16-17||To Dean Merrill||1958|
|2||18||To Dean Merrill||1959|
|3||1||To Dean Merrill||1959 July|
|3||2||To Dean Merrill||1959 August|
|3||3||To Dean Merrill||1959 September|
|3||4||To Dean Merrill||1959 October|
|3||5||To Dean Merrill||1959 November|
|3||6||To Dean Merrill||1959 December|
|3||7||To Dean Merrill||Undated, 1959|
|3||8||To Dean Merrill||1960 January|
|3||9||To Dean Merrill||1960 February-April|
|3||10||To Dean Merrill||1960 September-December|
|3||11||To Dean Merrill||Undated, 1960|
|3||12||To Dean Merrill||1961 January|
|3||13||To Dean Merrill||1961 February-March|
|3||14||To Dean Merrill||undated 1961|
|3||15||To Mrs. Lorin C. Merrill||1941|
|3||16||To Katherine Milhouse||1952|
|3||17||From Dorothy Bailey||1948|
|3||18||From Claire Hulme||1960-1961|
|3||19||From Amy Merrill||1946-1962|
|3||20||From Effie Merrill||1947-1962|
|3||21||From Jo Merrill||1945|
|3||22||From Clementine Churchill, September 1948. From Charles DeGaulle||undated|
|3||23||From Japanese students that Laura taught at Topaz
Mostly brief cards; 3 letters from Tommy and May Meyasaki in Idaho.
|3||24-25||Miscellaneous incomlng correspondence filed alphabetically|
|4||1||Incoming correspondence to Laura Merrill, no surnames|
|4||2||Incoming correspondence to Dean Merrill||1963-1964|
|4||3||Dorothy Bailey to Dean Merrill||1960|
|4||4||Claire Hulme to Dean Merrill||1957-1963|
|4||5||Sherman Lloyd to Dean Merrill||1959|
|4||6||Amy Merrill to Dean Merrill||1960-1964|
|4||7||Margaret White to Dean Merrill||1945|
|4||8||Incoming correspondence to Milton Merrill||1963|
|4||10||Letters about Rees Relatives|
|4||11||Davide And Laura Rees genealogy|
|4||12||Tracting essay by Laura Merrill|
|4||13||Testimony of Laura Merrill|
|4||14||Notes by Laura Merrill on the Discourses of Brigham Young|
|4||15||Notes by Laura Merrill on the Life Story of Brigham Young|
|4||16||Notes and personal writings of Laura Merrill|
|4||17||Baptism and missionary papers|
|4||18||Topaz material, including two memorial addresses given by Shigeo Shimada and Masaru Narahara, Topaz Times 4 Nov 1944, and one page description of the library|
|4||19||Merrill family funeral announcements|
|4||20||Merrill family chronology chart|
|5||Journals kept by Laura Merrill, 1-15|
|6||Journals kept by Laura Merrill, 16-21|
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Mormon women--Utah--Correspondence.
- Mormon women--Utah--Diaries.
- Personal Names :
- Merrill, Asa Rees, 1903- (contributor)
- Merrill, Asa Rees, 1903---Correspondence.
- Merrill, Dean Rees, 1907-1981. (contributor)
- Merrill, Dean Rees, 1907-1981--Correspondence.
- Merrill, Laura Liona Rees, 1876-1963.
- Merrill, Laura Liona Rees, 1876-1963--Correspondence.
- Merrill, Laura Liona Rees, 1876-1963--Diaries.
- Shimada, Shigeo, 1906-. Memorial address for Private Nobuo Kajiwara. (contributor)
- Corporate Names :
- Central Utah Relocation Center.
- Family Names :
- Merrill family.
- Reese family.
- Geographical Names :
- Logan (Utah)--History.
- Topaz (Utah)--History.