James Henry Polhemus papers, 1916-1964 PDF
- Polhemus, James Henry, 1887-1965
- James Henry Polhemus papers
- 1916-1964 (inclusive)19161964
- 24.0 linear feet, (16 containers)
- Collection Number
- Ax 299
- James Henry Polhemus (1887-1965) was a civil engineer and inventor who became chief engineer of the Port of Portland, president of Portland General Electric Co., and the owner of the Willamette Tug and Barge Company. The papers consist of Polhemus's personal diaries, 1934-1964, correspondence, scrapbooks, photographs, and records of the various companies with which he was associated.
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
UO Libraries--SPC, 1299
University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public.
Collection must be used in Special Collections & University Archives Reading Room.
- Additional Reference Guides
Paper finding aid with additional information is available in Special Collections & University Archives.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Historical NoteReturn to Top
James Henry Polhemus (1887-1965) graduated from Stanford University in 1910, and worked with his father, James S. Polhemus, as a civil engineer on The Dalles-Celilo Canal in Oregon. He was in charge of dredging and harbor improvements at Coos Bay, OR, 1914-1918, and from 1918 to 1920 was manager of the Coos Bay Shipbuilding Co. From 1920 to 1936 he was chief engineer of the Port of Portland, and from 1940 to 1949 president of Portland General Electric Co. After 1949 he became the owner of the Willamette Tug and Barge Company. Polhemus was also an inventor and designer of diesel electric dredges.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The papers consist of Polhemus's personal diaries, 1934-1964, correspondence, scrapbooks, photographs, and records of the various companies with which he was associated.
Diaries by Polhemus cover the years 1934-1964.
The correspondence includes information about dredging projects by the U.S. Army Engineers at Coos Bay, OR, 1916-1923, and the Coos Bay Shipbuilding Company, 1918-1919.
The Port of Portland records contains financial and monthly reports, over twenty special reports and data, dredging records, reference data books, plans and blueprints.
Portland General Electric Company records include president's reports, documents, other reports and a manuscript.
Portland Exposition Recreation Center Committee records contain reports, site studies, and comparative data.
Willamette Tug and Barge Company records include minutes, financial records and reports.
Willamette Hi-Grade Concrete Company records consist of financial statements.
The scrapbooks and photograph albums also include information and/or photographs of the Port of Portland, Portland airport, Coos Bay dredging, Celilo Canal, Coos Bay Shipbuilding Company and Willamette Tug and Barge Company, as well as family photographs.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Property rights reside with Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Archival material may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal and/or state right to privacy laws and other regulations.
Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g. a cause of action for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the University of Oregon assumes no responsibility.
If a researcher finds sensitive personal information in a collection, please bring it to the attention of the reading room staff.
[Identification of item], James Henry Polhemus papers, Ax 299, Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries, Eugene, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Civil engineers--Oregon
- Civil engineers--Oregon--Correspondence
- Civil engineers--Oregon--Diaries
- Dredging--Oregon--Coos Bay (Bay)
- Electric utilities--Oregon--Portland
- Harbors--Oregon--Coos Bay
- Personal Names :
- Polhemus, James Henry, 1887-1965
- Polhemus, James Henry, 1887-1965--Correspondence
- Polhemus, James Henry, 1887-1965--Diaries
- Corporate Names :
- Port of Portland (Or.).
- Portland General Electric Company.
- Willamette Hi-Grade Concrete Company.
- Willamette Tug and Barge Company.
- Form or Genre Terms :