American Civil Liberties Union versus the Logan School District collection, 1978 PDF
- Lanner, Ronald M.
- American Civil Liberties Union versus the Logan School District collection
- 1978 (inclusive)19781978
- 1 box, (.5 linear ft.)
- Collection Number
- USU_COLL MSS 056
- Contains photocopies of newspaper articles, correspondence, press releases, and court documents concerning a court case addressing the question of the separation of church and state, specifically the awarding of credit for Mormon seminary courses held during school time.
- Utah State University, Merrill-Cazier Library, Special Collections and Archives Division
Special Collections & Archives
Utah State University
- Access Restrictions
Open to public research.
- Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) grant, 2007-2008
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
This collection consists of 1 box of documents pertaining to a law suit brought by the American Civil Liberties Union against the Logan City School District regarding the issue of the separation of church and state. This case was heard during the year 1978. The case brought into question the legality of giving school credit for Latter-Day Saint seminary courses that were taught at the Logan High School and the Logan Junior High School. The collection has two parts. First, are newspaper articles from the Logan Herald Journal and the Salt Lake Tribune that chronicle the trial. Second, are documents, press releases and correspondence concerning the trial. Included in this second part is the final opinion of the District judge.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
It is the responsibility of the user to obtain permission to publish from the owner of the copyright (the institution, the creator of the record, the author or his/her transferees, heirs, legates, or literary executors). The user agrees to indemnify and hold harmless the Utah State University Libraries, its officers, employees, and agents from and against all claims made by any person asserting that he or she is an owner of copyright.
Permission to publish material from the American Civil Liberties Union versus the Logan School District collection must be obtained from the Special Collections Manuscript Curator and/or the Special Collections Department Head.
American Civil Liberties Union versus the Logan School District collection, 1978. (COLL MSS 056) Utah State University. Special Collections and Archives Department.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
|1||l||News releases from the Herald Journal||1978 May 4 - August 31|
|1||2||News releases from the Salt Lake Tribune||1978 May 4 - July 14|
|1||3||Legal documents and correspondence|
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Church and state--Mormon Church.
- Civil rights--Utah--Logan.
- Constitutional law--Utah--Logan--Religious aspects.
- Constitutional law--Utah--Logan--Religious aspects--Mormon Church.
- Personal Names :
- Blair, James C. (contributor)
- Hansen, Sherman.
- Lanner, Harriet. (contributor)
- Olsen, Rulon C.
- Scherting, Jack. (contributor)
- Corporate Names :
- American Civil Liberties Union Utah Chapter.
- Logan (Utah). Board of Education.