Adam R. Shipley and Company records, 1852-1870 PDF
- Adam R. Shipley and Co. (Portland, Or.).
- Adam R. Shipley and Company records
- 1852-1870 (inclusive)18521870
- 0.1 linear feet, (1 folder)
- Collection Number
- B 065
- A. R. Shipley and Company was a "Wholesale and Retail Dealer in Standard and Miscellaneous Books" in Portland, Oregon. The collection consists of correspondence, legal papers, and invoices.
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
UO Libraries--SPC, 1299
University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public.
Collection must be used in Special Collections & University Archives Reading Room.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Historical NoteReturn to Top
A. R. Shipley and Company was a "Wholesale and Retail Dealer in Standard and Miscellaneous Books" in Portland, Oregon.
Adam R. Shipley was also named postmaster of Portland in 1854.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection consists of correspondence, legal papers, and invoices.
There is a section of correspondence from "Brother's Carlton and Porter" to "Reverend Kinglsey" written on the stationary of the Methodist Book Concern of Cincinnati.
Legal papers include mortgages and warranty deeds for lots in Portland.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Property rights reside with Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections & University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Archival material may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal and/or state right to privacy laws and other regulations.
Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g. a cause of action for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the University of Oregon assumes no responsibility.
If a researcher finds sensitive personal information in a collection, please bring it to the attention of the reading room staff.
[Identification of item], Adam R. Shipley and Company records, B 065, Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries, Eugene, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Booksellers and bookselling--Oregon--Portland
- Personal Names :
- Shipley, Adam R.
- Corporate Names :
- Adam R. Shipley and Co. (Portland, Or.)--Records and correspondence.
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Financial records
- Legal documents