George J. and Florence Badura Collection, 1921-1947 PDF
- Badura, George J. (George Joseph), 1896-1975.
- George J. and Florence Badura Collection
- 1921-1947 (inclusive)19211947
- 1.2 cubic feet, including 6 photographs, (3 boxes, including 1 oversize box)
- Collection Number
- MSS Badura
- The George J. and Florence Badura Collection document the Baduras' student years at Oregon Agricultural College in the early 1920s. George J. Badura graduated from Oregon Agricultural College (OAC) in 1923 with a BS in Commerce. Florence Bedell attended OAC for two academic years in 1920-1921 and 1921-1922.
- Oregon State University Libraries, Special Collections and Archives Research Center
Special Collections and Archives Research Center
121 The Valley Library
Oregon State University
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
George J. Badura enrolled at Oregon Agricultural College (OAC) in fall 1919, attended for 4 academic years, and earned a BS in Commerce in June 1923. He had completed 4 years of military service, from 1915 to 1919, before enrolling at OAC. Badura was born in Portland, Oregon, on September 27, 1896; he died in 1975. Florence Bedell enrolled at OAC in fall 1920 and attended for 2 academic years (1920-1921 and 1921-1922) as a student in Commerce; she did not complete a degree at OAC. Florence was born in Dos Palos, California, on December 27, 1902; she attended Alsea (Oregon) High School before enrolling at OAC. George and Florence were married soon after George graduated from OAC and moved to Kalispell, Montana.
In 1925, George was made head of the commercial department at Fortuna (California) Union High School and was promoted to principal in 1927. He specialized in business instruction and was instrumental in organization of a state executive council for California commercial teachers. He developed a successful Adult Evening School at Fortuna High school and was active in business, civic, and community organizations.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The George J. and Florence Badura Collection consists of materials assembled by the Baduras that document their student years at Oregon Agricultural College in the early 1920s. The bulk of the collection consists of publications, ephemera, and artifacts. The publications include the 1923 (v. 26) and 1924 (v. 27) Beaver yearbooks; two issues of the Oregon State alumni magazine (January 1924 and January 1931 issues which include information about the Baduras); and the 1923 commencement programs. Ephemera include programs for the annual engineering show, Junior Weekend, an intercollegiate debate contest, the annual business show, and the 1923 ROTC military tournament as well as homecoming envelopes and invitations to events. Most of these items were sent by George to Florence in Alsea during 1922-1923. These also include 2 postcards of campus buildings and 4 snapshots of a military parade. Numerous dance cards are part of the collection.
The artifacts include an OAC pennant and mat and a small plaster beaver with the inscription Junior Prom OAC-24. The collection also includes several scrapbook pages with clippings, a commencement program, ribbons, and 2 letterman patches.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
George J. and Florence Badura Collection (MSS Badura), Oregon State University Special Collections & Archives Research Center, Corvallis, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- College students--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Student activities--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Corporate Names :
- Oregon Agricultural College--Alumni and alumnae.
- Oregon Agricultural College--Students.
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Dance cards.
- Photographic prints.
- Printed ephemera.