Lewis W. Fenske, Sr., Papers, 1925-1948 PDF
- Fenske, Lewis W.
- Lewis W. Fenske, Sr., Papers
- 8 items
- Collection Number
- Collection 2203, MtBC, us (collection)
- The Lewis W. Fenske, Sr. Papers consist of correspondence discussing matters including: economic and political conditions in postwar Europe, Wheeler's 1946 reelection campaign and defeat, and the 1948 campaign for senator in Montana. Sam C. Ford was governor of Montana from 1941 to 1949.
- Montana State University Library, Merrill G. Burlingame Special Collections
Montana State University-Bozeman Library
Merrill G Burlingame Special Collections
P.O. Box 173320
- Access Restrictions
This collection is open for research.
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Lewis W. Fenske was a eastern Montana farmer with an interest in state and national politics. His birth and death dates are unknown. During the 1920s and 1940s, Fenske carried on correspondence with Milburn Lincoln Wilson, Burton Kendall Wheeler, and Sam C. Ford. Eight of the replies he received are in this collection.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
Milburn Lincoln Wilson was a professor of Agricultural Economics at Montana State College, Bozeman, and was United States Undersecretary of Agriculture during the Franklin D. Roosevelt administration. Wilson also served as secretary and general manager of Fairway Farms Corporation of Montana, an experimental farm project. Two of replies to Fenske found in this collection concern the operation of Fairway Farms and the application of A.P. Adams to participate in the project. Burton Kendall Wheeler was United States Senator from Montana, serving from 1923 through 1947. Wheeler wrote five of the letters in this collection to Fenske, discussing matters including: economic and political conditions in postwar Europe, Wheeler's 1946 reelection campaign and defeat, and the 1948 campaign for senator in Montana. Sam C. Ford was governor of Montana from 1941 to 1949. His letter to Fenske concerns the reelection defeat of Wheeler in 1946. The letters have been calendared in chronological order. All letters are to Lewis W. Fenske, Sr. and one page unless otherwise indicated.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
|1||1: Milburn L. Wilson, Washington, D.C.||September 16, 1925|
|1||2: Milburn L. Wilson, Washington, D.C.||January 30, 1928|
|1||3: Burton K. Wheeler, Washington, D.C.
(3 pp.; envelope)
|July 11, 1945|
|1||4: Burton K. Wheeler, Washington, D.C.||December 29, 1945|
|1||5: Burton K. Wheeler, Washington, D.C.
|July 27, 1946|
|1||6: Sam C. Ford, Helena, Montana||November 12, 1946|
|1||7: Burton K. Wheeler, Washington, D.C.||January 21, 1947|
|1||8: Burton K. Wheeler, Washington, D.C.
|October 7, 1948|
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Personal Names :
- Ford, Sam C. (Sam Clarence), 1882-1961-Correspondence
- Wheeler, Burton K. (Burton Kendall), 1882-1975-Correspondence
- Wilson, M. L. (Milburn Lincoln), 1885-1969-Correspondence
- Corporate Names :
- Fairway Farms Corporation of Montana
- United States-Congress-Senate
- Geographical Names :
- Europe-Economic conditions-1945-
- Europe-Politics and government-1945-
- Montana-Politics and government-20th century