150th Anniversary Symposium of the Whitman Tragedy Collection, 1997 PDF
- Whitman College. Whitman College and Northwest Archives
- 150th Anniversary Symposium of the Whitman Tragedy Collection
- 2.2 linear feet, (1 small flat box, 1 manuscript box)
- Collection Number
- The 150th Anniversary Symposium of the Whitman Tragedy Collection, which dates from circa 1997,consists of a program, newspaper clippings, a photograph album, and video recordings from the 150th anniversary symposium of the Whitman Incident held at Whitman College in 1997.
- Whitman College and Northwest Archives
Whitman College and Northwest Archives
Penrose Library, Room 130
345 Boyer Avenue
Walla Walla, WA
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
The 150th Anniversary Symposium of the Whitman Tragedy was held on November 14-15, 1997, in Maxey Hall at Whitman College in Walla Walla, Washington. The symposium explored different issues and perspectives surrounding the arrival of Marcus and Narcissa Whitman to the Pacific Northwest, and their eventual killing by Cayuse people. The keynote speaker was Patricia Limerick. Other presenters included Whitman students and faculty, Whitman archivist Larry Dodd, and members of the Cayuse tribe.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The 150th Anniversary Symposium of the Whitman Tragedy Collection consists of a scrapbook, three-part video series, and newspaper clippings. This collection, which dates from circa 1997, also contains photographs, and papers given at this symposium held at Whitman College on November 14-15, 1997.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Personal Names :
- Whitman, Marcus
- Whitman, Narcissa Prentiss
- Corporate Names :
- Whitman College