Fort Keogh (Mont.) Collection, 1864-1892  PDF

Overview of the Collection

Creator
Fort Keogh (Mont.)
Title
Fort Keogh (Mont.) Collection
Dates
1864-1892 (inclusive)
Quantity
3 folders and 1 partial reel microfilm
Collection Number
Mss 138
Summary
Fort Keogh, Montana, served as an army infantry and cavalry post from 1878 to 1900. The collection consists of miscellaneous records from the fort, mostly relating to provisions.
Repository
University of Montana, Mansfield Library, Archives and Special Collections
Archives and Special Collections
Maureen and Mike Mansfield Library
University of Montana
32 Campus Dr. #9936
59812-9936
Missoula, MT
Telephone: 406-243-2053
Fax: 406-243-4067
library.archives@umontana.edu
Access Restrictions

Researchers must use collection in accordance with the policies of Archives and Special Collections, the Maureen and Mike Mansfield Library, and The University of Montana--Missoula.

Languages
English
Sponsor
Funding for creating this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historic Publications and Records Commission. Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.


Historical NoteReturn to Top

Fort Keogh, Montana, was first occupied in 1876, and was originally called New Post on the Yellowstone, then Cantonment on Tongue River, then Tongue River Barracks. The post was officially designated Fort Keogh in 1878; it served as army infantry and cavalry post until 1900 when it was used as an army remount station. It was converted to a livestock experiment station in 1908 and used as a quartermaster's depot during World War I. Iin 1924, the military reservation was transferred to the U.S. Department of the Interior. Today the Range and Livestock Experiment Station of the U.S. Department of Agriculture occupies the fort.

Content DescriptionReturn to Top

The three folders contain photocopies of miscellaneous correspondence and other materials from Fort Keogh, 1878-1892. There are two copies of the Frontier Scout, published by Winegar & Goodwin in Fort Union, Dakota Territory, from July and August of 1864. The reel of microfilm contains letters and other materials; most relate to provisions for Fort Keogh. There is an index to a letterbook from the fort; the book itself is not included, but there is a summary of each letter sent. There is also a copy of the General Orders and Circulars, from the headquarters of the Department of Dakota, 1886.

Use of the CollectionReturn to Top

Restrictions on Use

Researchers are responsible for using in accordance with 17 U.S.C. and any other applicable statutes. Copyright not transferred to The University of Montana.

Preferred Citation

[Name of document or photograph number], Fort Keogh (Mont.) Collection , Archives and Special Collections, Maureen and Mike Mansfield Library, The University of Montana-Missoula.

Administrative InformationReturn to Top


Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top

Container(s) Description Dates
Folder
1 1876-1892
2 Frontier Scout 1864
3 1878-1897
Reel
1 1878-1892

Names and SubjectsReturn to Top

  • Subject Terms :
  • Fortification--Montana
  • Corporate Names :
  • United States. Army Commissariat
  • Geographical Names :
  • Fort Keogh (Mont.)
  • Fort Union (N.D.)--Newspapers
  • Montana--History, Military--19th century
  • Form or Genre Terms :
  • Military records--Montana
  • Newspapers--North Dakota--Fort Union
  • Titles within the Collection :
  • Frontier news
  • Other Creators :
    • Corporate Names :
    • United States. Army
    • United States. Army. Dept. of Dakota