Guide to the Soroptimist International of Missoula-South Records, 1978-1990 PDF
- Soroptimist International of Missoula-South
- Guide to the Soroptimist International of Missoula-South Records
- 1978-1990 (inclusive)19781990
- 1.0 linear feet, (2 boxes)
- Collection Number
- Mss 879
- This collection consists of records from the South Missoula chapter of Soroptimist International, an international women's service organization for business and professional women who work to improve the lives of women and girls in local communities and throughout the world. The collection contains administrative records, photographs and memorabilia from events, 1978-1990s.
- University of Montana, Mansfield Library, Archives and Special Collections
Archives and Special Collections
Maureen and Mike Mansfield Library
University of Montana
32 Campus Dr. #9936
- Access Restrictions
Researchers must use collection in accordance with the policies of Archives and Special Collections, the Maureen and Mike Mansfield Library, and The University of Montana-Missoula.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Soroptimist (a name coined by combining the Latin words soror "sister" and optimus "best", and can be taken to mean "best for women") was founded in 1921 in Alameda County, California. Montana’s Soroptimist International of Missoula – South chapter chartered March 29, 1978. This branch began a variety of community service programs including assisting with the local battered woman’s shelter, scholarship pageants, and youth seminars. By 2005 the organization was no longer active.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
This collection includes many photos, dating between 1978 and 1990, showing various members and member functions; newsletters written and sent out by the chapter president; correspondence between members; and files relating to a variety of community outreach programs, including a Regional Youth Seminar.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Researchers are responsible for using in accordance with 17 U.S.C. and any other applicable statutes. Copyright not transfered to the University of Montana.
Soroptimist International of Missoula-South Records, Archives and Special Collections, Maureen and Mike Mansfield Library, The University of Montana-Missoula.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
Series I: Administrative Files, 1978-1990Return to Top
This series contains information on bylaws, orgainzational procedures, newsletters and seminars
Bylaws of Soroptimist of Missoula-South Operating Files
|1979 and undated|
Memorabilia and conference material
Northwestern Regional Youth Seminar
Soroptimist International Guides and Procedures
Series II: Photographs, 1980sReturn to Top
The photographs are of events, parties, officer installations and Soroptimist fundraisers.
Photograph album pages
Slides and negatives
Series III: Scrapbook, 1978Return to Top
The scrapbook contains photographs, invitations, letters and assorted memorabila.
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Women--Montana--Missoula--Societies and clubs
- Women's shelters--Montana--Missoula
- Women--Services for--Montana--Missoula
- Corporate Names :
- Soroptimist International of Missoula--Archives
- Geographical Names :
- Missoula (Mont.)--Social conditions--20th century