Collection is open for research.
The Dean of Women's Office was established in 1911 with responsibility for the general welfare of the college's female students. Anna Zoe Crayne was the first Dean. Kate W. Jameson, Dean of Women from 1924-1941, added many programs to the purview of the office, including the Associated Women Students, Mortar Board, and other honorary societies. The office provided housing and employment services, helped to coordinate social and activity programs, and counseled students "on matters of general and personal welfare".
Conferences for housemothers, student counselors, and other advisors to student living groups were held at Oregon State for several weeks during the summer from 1940 until the early 1960s. The conference were attended by women from throughout United States. In the 1950s, the event became known as the Hostesses and Head Residents Conference.
The Dean of Women's Office Photographs consists of group photographs of the participants in the conference for housemothers, hostesses, and head residents at Oregon State in the summers of 1941, 1951 (2 prints), and 1961. All of the images are b/w prints; the 1951 and 1961 images include the participants' names. The 1951 photographs were made by Hise Studio in Corvallis, Oregon.
Dean of Women's Office Photographs (P 097), Oregon State University Archives, Corvallis, Oregon.