French-Glenn Live Stock Company records, 1884-1907 PDF
- French-Glenn Live Stock Company
- French-Glenn Live Stock Company records
- 1884-1907 (inclusive)18841907
- .45 cubic feet (1 document case)
- Collection Number
- Mss 1379
- Records of a California land company that operated from the late 1880s to 1907, with holdings in Harney County, Oregon. Includes legal records, information on cattle, and documents relating to a loan from the German Savings and Loan Society.
- Oregon Historical Society, Davies Family Research Library
Davies Family Research Library
Oregon Historical Society
1200 SW Park Avenue
- Access Restrictions
The collection is open to the public.
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Beginning in the late 1870s, Peter French and Hugh J. Glenn purchased large tracts of grazing land in southeastern Oregon's Harney County. Their ranch, which was eventually owned by the French-Glenn Live Stock Company, covered around 140,000 acres, bordering on Malheur Lake on the north and following the Dundar and Blitzen Valleys. Some of the land was planted in alfalfa, oats, and barley. It was divided into five parts: the "P" Ranch Division, the Catlow Valley Division, the Diamond Division, the Happy Valley Division, and the Sod-House Division. The company's headquarters were located in Chico, California, and its general manager was F. C. Lusk.
In 1891 the company took out a large mortgage with the German Savings and Loan Society of San Francisco, and in 1898 it entered an additional mortgage agreement with California land speculator Henry Miller. In 1905 the company's holdings were sold to the California and Oregon Land Company, headed by Portland banker Henry Ladd Corbett.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection includes legal records, land ownership records, information on cattle, a map of holdings in Harney County, and documents relating to a loan from the German Savings and Loan Society. Also included are probate records relating to the estates of Royal and Nancy Glenn, documents concerning the Henry Miller mortgage, and documents on the sale of the company's holdings.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
The Oregon Historical Society is the owner of the materials in the Research Library and makes available reproductions for research, publication, and other uses. Written permission must be obtained from the Research Library before any publication use. The Society does not necessarily hold copyright to all of the materials in the collections. In some cases, permission for use may require seeking additional authorization from the copyright owners.
French-Glenn Live Stock Company records, Mss1379, Oregon Historical Society Research Library
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
Includes "Cattle count", 1905 Spring.
|2||German Savings and Loan Society, "Abstract of Lands held by mortgage to the German Bank"||circa 1890|
|3||German Savings and Loan Society mortgage materials||1891-1906|
|4||Ranch, general description||1892-1898|
|5||Recorded deeds, patents, land descriptions, records of land sales||1887-1909|
|6||Recorded deeds, patents, land descriptions, records of land sales||undated|
|7||Probate proceedings on estates of Royal Glenn and Nancy H. Glenn||1891-1895|
|8||Henry Miller mortgage||1898-1901|
|9||Assessment, taxes and fees||1900-1905|
|10||Sale of ranch||1905-1907|
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Cattle--Oregon--Harney County.
- Land companies--California--History.
- Land companies--Oregon--History.
- Livestock--Oregon--Harney County--History.
- Personal Names :
- Corbett, Henry Ladd.
- French, Peter, 1849-1887.
- Glenn Royal.
- Glenn, Hugh J.
- Glenn, Nancy H.
- Lusk, F. C.
- Miller, Henry, 1827-1916.
- Corporate Names :
- California and Oregon Land Company.
- French-Glenn Live Stock Company. (creator)
- German Savings and Loan Society.
- Geographical Names :
- Harney County (Or.)--History
- Harney County (Or.)--Maps.
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Mortgage deeds.