Arlie Mitchell Photographs Collection, 1912-1974 PDF
- Mitchell, Edward R.
- Arlie Mitchell Photographs Collection
- 1912-1974 (inclusive)1912-19741912-1974
- 0.04 cibic feet, (4 photographs and printed material in 3 folders)
- Collection Number
- Org. Lot 163
- Small collection of photographs related to Arlie Mitchell, a climbing and hunting guide on Mt. Hood, whose family served as caretakers and tollgate keepers for the Barlow Road on the mountain.
- Oregon Historical Society, Davies Family Research Library
Davies Family Research Library
Oregon Historical Society
1200 SW Park Avenue
- Access Restrictions
The collection is open to the public.
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities. Funding for preparing this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Arlie Mitchell was the son of Steve and Ellen Mitchell. The family had a homestead cabin on the Barlow Road, and Steve worked maintenance and as tollgate keeper for some time. Arlie and his 8 brothers and sisters were raised near Sandy, Oregon. For a time, the family served as caretakers of the Stephen Coalman homestead and Stephen’s young son, Elijah (Lige), whose mother died when he was 18 months old. Lige went on to earn legendary status as a climbing guide on Mt. Hood. Arlie packed and guided hunting and climbing parties on Mt. Hood. He served in the Navy during World War I and returned to the Sandy area.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection includes four photographic prints of Arlie and Molly Mitchell on Mt. Hood and Barlow Road. Also included is a background file of photocopied materials on the Mitchell family.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
The Oregon Historical Society is the owner of the materials in the Research Library and makes available reproductions for research, publication, and other uses. Written permission must be obtained from the Research Library before any reproduction use. The Society does not necessarily hold copyright to all of the materials in the collections. In some cases, permission for use may require seeking additional authorization from the copyright owners.
Arlie Mitchell photographs collection, Org. Lot 163, Oregon Historical Society Research Library
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
The following section contains a detailed listing of the materials in the collection.
Background—newspaper clippings, 1919, 1920Return to Top
Container(s): Folder 1
Arlie Mitchell, 1912, 1974Return to Top
Container(s): Folder 2
With pack horses and gun on Mt. Hood
At Barlow Road Tollgate sign
Molly Mitchell, circa 1915Return to Top
Container(s): Folder 3
At Tollgate No. 5, Barlow Road, near Rhododendron
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Mountaineers--Oregon--Hood, Mount--Photographs.
- Personal Names :
- Mitchell, Arlie--Photographs.
- Family Names :
- Mitchell family--Photographs.
- Geographical Names :
- Barlow Road (Or.)--Photographs.
- Hood, Mount (Or.)--Photographs.
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Photographic prints.