Abel D. Helman papers, 1850-1892 PDF
- Helman, Abel D., 1824-1910
- Abel D. Helman papers
- 1850-1892 (inclusive)18501892
- 0.1 linear feet, (4 folders)
- Collection Number
- A 048
- The Abel Helman Papers comprise four folders that include a diary of Helman's overland trip from Ohio to California, a list of travel expenses, detailed description of weather reports of Ashland, Oregon, and a photostat copy of the journal of the Mountain Rangers from 1863 to 1866.
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
UO Libraries--SPC, 1299
University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public.
Collection must be used in Special Collections & University Archives Reading Room.
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Abel Helman was born of April 10, 1824 in Ohio. On October 23, 1849, he married Martha Jane Helman, who was born March 3, 1826 in Pennsylvania. The couple had 8 children. In 1850, Martha and Abel made the overland trek from Ohio to California then later Oregon. The family eventually settled in Jackson County, Oregon.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
Collection consists of a typed copy of a diary and expense account of a voyage to California in 1850, and to Oregon in 1851; expense account of an overland trip from Oregon to Ohio and return, 1853; a diary, Oct. 7, 1858-April 11, 1859, Feb. 1, 1883-July 30, 1892; a table of weather data, Ashland, Or., Feb. 1, 1883-July 31, 1892. There is a photostat copy of the journal of the Mountain Rangers, Company A, 1st Regiment, 1st Brigade, Oregon Militia, 1863-1866. The Rangers were a marching and social organization. The originals of the Helman papers are privately owned.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Property rights reside with Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections & University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Archival may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal and/or state right to privacy laws and other regulations.
Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g. a cause of action for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the University of Oregon assumes no responsibility.
If a researcher finds sensitive personal information in a collection, please bring it to the attention of the reading room staff.
[Identification of item], Abel D. Helman papers, A 048, Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries, Eugene, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
|1||Diaries and Expense Accounts|
|2||Diary with Weather Reports||February 1883-July 1892|
|4||"Mountain Rangers" journal|
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Pioneers--Oregon--Jackson County
- Travel costs--West (U.S.)
- Voyages to the Pacific coast
- Personal Names :
- Helman, Abel D., 1824-1910--Archives
- Helman, Abel D., 1824-1910--Finance, Personal
- Helman, Abel D., 1824-1910--Travel--West (U.S.)
- Corporate Names :
- Oregon. Militia. Regiment, 1st. Brigade, 1st. Company A (1863-1866)--Diaries
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Account books