Thomas Allen McBride papers, 1893-1923 PDF
- McNary, Charles Linza, 1874-1944McBride, Thomas A. (Thomas Allen), 1847-1930
- Thomas Allen McBride papers
- 1893-1923 (inclusive)18931923
- 2.5 linear feet, (3 containers) : 1 clamshell box, 2 photograph boxes
- Collection Number
- A 291
- Thomas Allen McBride (1847-1930) became an attorney, served in the Oregon House of Representatives, as a District Attorney, as a Clatsop County Circuit Court judge, and from 1909 till 1930, served as an Oregon Supreme Court Justice. The collection contains correspondence, speeches, publications, certificates, clippings, and photographs.
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
1299 University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
- Additional Reference Guides
Paper finding aid with additional information is available in Special Collections & University Archives.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Thomas Allen McBride (1847-1930) became an attorney, served in the Oregon House of Representatives, as a District Attorney, as a Clatsop County Circuit Court judge, and from 1909 till 1930, served as an Oregon Supreme Court Justice.
After working as an attorney, MacBride was elected to represent Columbia County in the Oregon Legislature in 1876. Beginning in 1882 he served as District Attorney for the Fifth Judicial District (at the time, Washington, Clackamas, Clatsop, Columbia, and Wasco counties) until 1892 when he became a Circuit Court judge for Clatsop County.
In 1909, the governor appointed McBride to the state supreme court, and in 1914 until 1930 McBride continually won reelection. He served as chief justice of the court five times. McBride died in office on September 9, 1930.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection contains correspondence, speeches, publications, certificates, clippings, and photographs.
Correspondence includes a letter from Oregon Senator Charles McNary.
Newspaper clippings consist of reprinted speeches by McBride, pictures, biographical information and a section of clippings regarding the career of McBride's brother, George McBride.
Photographs are mostly portraits of McBride, the McBride family, and Oregon homes. The photographs were removed from their original placement in the collection and are stored separately for preservation reasons, under the call number PH165.
Certificates and other documents (1876-1926) include deeds, McBride's nomination to the Oregon Supreme Court, admission to the Bar, etc.
Publications include books, and an article in the Oregon Law Review titled "Reminiscences of the Oregon bar" (1923).
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
|Guide to the Thomas Allen McBride Papers|
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Practice of law--Oregon
- Personal Names :
- McBride, George Wycliffe, 1854-1911
- Corporate Names :
- Oregon. Supreme Court
- Family Names :
- McBride family
- Geographical Names :
- Oregon--Politics and government--1859-1950
- Form or Genre Terms :