Home Management House Photograph Collection, 1945-1948 PDF
- Home Management House Photograph Collection
- 1945-1948 (inclusive)19451948
- 0.15 cubic foot, including 23 photographs, (1 box)
- Collection Number
- P 266
- The Home Management House Photograph Collection consists of images of home economics students residing in the houses and several of the infants and children that lived with the Oregon State students during the mid-1940s. A six-week residency in one of the home management houses was a requirement of all home economics students at Oregon State College.
- Oregon State University Libraries, Special Collections and Archives Research Center
Special Collections and Archives Research Center
121 The Valley Library
Oregon State University
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Home management houses (or practice houses) were established in the School of Home Economics in 1916 and a six-week residency in one of the houses was required of all home economics students. Beginning in 1926, infants and toddlers lived in the home management houses and were cared for by the students and resident advisor. More than 50 children lived in the home management houses for several weeks to a year from 1926 through the 1940s.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The Home Management House Photograph Collection consists of images assembled by a home economics student. The images consist primarily of portrait photographs, made by Hise Studio, of children who lived in the house during the mid-1940s -- Patsy, Susan, Jimmie, and Pamela. The collection also includes images of Oregon State College home economics students who were living in the home management houses and depict them with the baby, learning about a new washing machine, and greeting international students. A baptismal certificate for baby Susan is also included in the collection.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Home Management House Photograph Collection (P 266), Oregon State University Archives, Corvallis, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Child rearing--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Foster children--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Home economics students--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Home economics--Study and teaching (Higher)--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Corporate Names :
- Oregon State College. School of Home Economics.
- Oregon State College--Students.
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Photographic prints.
- Other Creators :
- Corporate Names :
- Hise Studio. (creator)