Walter Fraser McCulloch joined the faculty of the Oregon State College School of Forestry in 1937. He left Oregon State briefly during World War II to serve as assistant state forester; during this time he developed and administered Oregon's Forest Conservation Act. He returned to Oregon State in 1945 as head of the Department of Forest Management. He served as Acting Dean of Forestry in 1952-1953 and as Dean from 1955 until 1966.
McCulloch earned his BA degree from the University of British Columbia, an MS from the New York State College of Forestry at Syracuse University, and an Ed.D. from the University of Oregon. McCulloch was best known for his contributions to forestry education.
McCulloch resigned from Oregon State University in 1969 for health reasons and died in Corvallis in 1973.
The W.F. McCulloch Collection consists of materials assembled and written by McCulloch and includes certificates and awards; publications written by McCulloch; and memorabilia. Certificates from the Forest History Society and the Oregon State Board of Forestry are included as well as his recognition as a honorary fernhopper by the OSU forestry alumni and his Centennial Award from Oregon State University.
The publications include Forest Practices in Oregon published by the Oregon State Board of Forestry in 1943; The Forester on the Job (1955), a handbook for new forestry graduates as they begin their employment, published by the Oregon State College Cooperative Association; and the Initial Report of Survey of Oregon Forest Conservation Act (1942) prepared by McCulloch as Assistant State Forester.
The memorabilia includes the 1936 edition of The Empire Forester, the annual student publication of the Forestry Club at the New York State College of Forestry at Syracuse University.