Oregon State Tuberculosis Hospital collection, 1920-1973 PDF
- Oregon State Tuberculosis Hospital
- Oregon State Tuberculosis Hospital collection
- 1920-1973 (inclusive)19201973
- 2 linear feet, (2 boxes)
- Collection Number
- The Oregon State Tuberculosis Hospital, in Salem, OR, began admitting patients in 1910 and later merged with the University of Oregon Medical School State Tuberculosis Hospital. The collection contains reports, birth certificate books, admissions and discharges, scrapbooks, photographs, and correspondence.
- Oregon Health & Science University, Historical Collections & Archives
OHSU Historical Collections & Archives
Oregon Health & Science University
3181 SW Sam Jackson Park Rd. MC:LIB
- Access Restrictions
There are no restrictions on access. This collection is open to the public.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The Tuberculosis Hospital collection consists of photographs and scrapbooks, hospital record books and correspondence pertaining to the operation, staffing and publicity of the Oregon State Tuberculosis Hospital, and its assimilation into the University of Oregon Medical School. The majority of the materials are dated between the early 1920s and mid 1960s. Photographs were either loose-leaf, or were taken from one of three scrapbooks detailing the history of the hospital. Record books are dated from 1939 to 1973.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
In 1894, construction was started in Salem on a building designated to be the Oregon Mute School. The school was abandoned only a short time later because of a lack of adequate roads to its relatively secluded location. Its empty buildings were used to house the newly commissioned Oregon State Tuberculosis Hospital, which began admitting patients in November of 1910.
H. J. Clement, M.D., was superintendent in 1910 and 1911, and administered the medical program and business. Several new buildings were completed during this period. Later, in 1913, G. C. Bellinger, M.D. became superintendent. He would remain superintendent until his retirement in 1954.
During the first few years, patients came very slowly, as the idea of a tuberculosis sanatorium was new to the public. Soon, however, the hospital was forced to form a waiting list as the demand for treatment exceeded the supply of beds. Starting from only fifty beds in 1910, Oregon State Tuberculosis Hospital expanded to 120 beds in 1920, many of which were in open-air pavilions. For the next few decades, the hospital continued to have a significant waiting list, and so kept expanding with new pavilions.
In 1963, the State Legislature combined the Oregon State Tuberculosis Hospital in Salem with the University of Oregon Medical School State Tuberculosis Hospital, which was opened in 1939 on the University's Portland campus. As a result, patients located in the University State Tuberculosis Hospital on the Portland campus were transferred to the State Hospital in Salem.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
OHSU Historical Collections & Archives (HC&A) is the owner of the original materials and digitized images in our collections, however, the collection may contain materials for which copyright is not held. Patrons are responsible for determining the appropriate use or reuse of materials. Consult with HC&A to determine if we can provide permission for use.
Oregon State Tuberculosis Hospital collection, Collection Number 2000-001, Oregon Health & Science University, Historical Collections & Archives
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
|4||1||Assorted oversized photographs, showing mostly buildings and grounds, with some patients visible (includes one photograph of University State Tuberculosis Hospital) (MEDIATED ACCESS)||1920, 1938, undated|
|3||1||Assorted photographs, generally showing patients (MEDIATED ACCESS)||1939, 1951, 1962, undated|
|3||2-3||Assorted photographs showing buildings, grounds, wildlife, and staff (2 folders) (includes photographs of University State Tuberculosis Hospital showing footbridge)||undated|
|4||2||Correspondence, annual report, service award programs, and publications such as "Campusgram," "What's Going On?," and "Oregon Pulse"||1922, 1932-1945, 1960-1967|
|4||3||Fifty-year history, staff list with costs, correspondence, reports, publicity letters and aerial photograph, publications such as "Health Pilot" and "Leslie Broadcaster"||1910-1916, 1925-1961|
|4||4||News clippings||1931-1939, 1952-1967|
|4||6-7||Operation ledgers (2 volumes) (RESTRICTED)||1937-1965|
|1||2||Outpatient records notebook (RESTRICTED)||1957-1961|
|3||4-7||Scrapbook photographs showing buildings, grounds, wildlife, staff, and patients (4 folders) (MEDIATED ACCESS)||1930-1939|
|3||8||Slides showing model of a chapel and neighboring shops||undated|
|4||5||Scrapbook items, including letters, clippings, "Campusgrams," and Christmas Seals certificates||1910, 1928, 1947, 1956-1966|
|1||1-5||University Tuberculosis Hospital: Admissions and discharges ledgers (5 volumes) (RESTRICTED)||1955-1973|
|1||1||University Tuberculosis Hospital: Birth certificate books (RESTRICTED)||1950-1955|
|2||1-4||University Tuberculosis Hospital: Surgery log books (4 volumes) (RESTRICTED)||1939-1974, 1957-1963|
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Chronic Disease
- Hospital Administration
- Outpatient Clinics, Hospital
- Corporate Names :
- University of Oregon Medical School. Tuberculosis Hospital
- Geographical Names :
- Form or Genre Terms :
- clippings (information artifacts)
- Hospital Records