United States Geologic Survey photograph collection,, 1892-1912 PDF
- Geological Survey (U.S.)
- United States Geologic Survey photograph collection,
- 1892-1912 (inclusive)18921912
- 1 box; 18 items, (.5 linear ft. )
- Collection Number
- Images of E. W. Glafcke and his United States Geological Survey crew, which included Glafcke, A.L. Mitchell, and Elt Waisner. Included are images of the surveyor's camp, men surveying, wagons, pack mules, survey equipment, and Dome Lake in the Bighorn Mountains of Wyoming. The photographer is unknown.
- Utah State University, Merrill-Cazier Library, Special Collections and Archives Division
Special Collections & Archives
Utah State University
- Access Restrictions
Open to public research.
- Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) grant, 2007-2008
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
E.W. Glafcke was in charge of a crew during the United States Geological Survey's spirit leveling activities in Wyoming and Utah from 1896 to 1912.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The USGS survey party photograph collection consists of eighteen gelatin printed out photographs with cardboard mounts of E. W. Glafcke and his survey crew dating between 1898 and 1904. Glafcke was in charge of a crew during the United States Geological Survey's spirit leveling activities in Wyoming and Utah from 1896 to 1912. The photographs were taken in the Big Horn Mountains, the area around the Smiths Fork and Green Rivers, and the Uintah Mountains which include Glafcke, A. L. Mitchell and Elt Waisner. These images show scenes of the survey team including the surveyor's camp, men surveying, wagons, pack mules, and survey equipment. The photographer is unknown.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
It is the responsibility of the user to obtain permission to publish from the owner of the copyright (the institution, the creator of the record, the author or his/her transferees, heirs, legates, or literary executors). The user agrees to indemnify and hold harmless the Utah State University Libraries, its officers, employees, and agents from and against all claims made by any person asserting that he or she is an owner of copyright.
Permission to publish material from the United States Geologic Survey photograph collection must be obtained from the Special Collections Photograph Curator and/or the Special Collections Department Head.
View selected digitized images from the United States Geologic Survey photograph collection.
United States Geologic Survey photograph collection, 1892-1912. (P0116). Utah State University. Special Collections & Archives Department.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
|01: Three men relaxing at camp on Big Goose Creek in the Bighorn Mountains.|
|02: A.C. Mitchell, Mr. Thayer, E.W. Glafcke and Mr. Torons posing at camp on Big Goose Creek in the Bighorn Mountains|
|03: A.C. Mitchell and O. Palmer relaxing in a tent at camp; north end of Dome Lake in the Bighorn Mountains,||1900|
|04: A small herd of cattle grazing next to Dome Lake in the Bighorn Mountains, summer cottages in the background|
|05: E.W. Glafcke standing at Cold Rock Spring in the Bighorn Mountains, a man standing on the side of a cliff above him|
|06: E.W. Glafcke, Mr. Thayer and Mr. Towns at Goose Creek camp in the Bighorn Mountains, wagon and tent in the background|
|07: The L.H. Brooks Party on a wagon at Dome Lake in the Bighorn Mountains, summer cottages in the background|
|08: Elt Waisner playing a prank on unidentified man in camp at Smith's Fork of the Green River in||1902|
|08a.: Two men in camp at Smith's Fork of the Green River,||September 1898|
|09: "Rocky Mountain Canary Birds, Ute Pass - Col, Unitah Mt." Donkeys with packs traveling along the Ute Pass|
|10: Two men standing at camp in the Utah Uintah Mountains,||1904|
|11: A heavily loaded supply wagon stuck in mud, a man tending to a horse behind it.|
|12: A survey crew posing for a photo with their equipment.|
|13: Two men playing a prank in camp, a man relaxes near a tent behind them.|
|14: Duplicate of #11|
|15: Five men sitting atop a horse drawn supply wagon|
|16: A camp scene with two men sitting in a tent, survey equipment dispersed about the camp|
|17: A camp scene with man preparing food (?) from the back end of a wagon, man looking-on|
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Geological surveys--West (U.S.)--Photographs.
- Scientific expeditions--West (U.S.)--Photographs.
- Surveying--West (U.S.)--Photographs.
- Personal Names :
- Glafcke, E. W. (contributor)
- Glafcke, E. W.--Portraits.
- Mitchell, Albert--Portraits.
- Waisner, Elt--Portraits.
- Corporate Names :
- Geographical Surveys West of the 100th Meridian (U.S.)--Photographs.
- Geological and Geographical Survey of the Territories (U.S.)--Photographs.
- Geographical Names :
- Bighorn Mountains (Wyo. and Mont.)--Photographs.
- Dome Lake (Wyo.)--Photographs.
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Expeditions & surveys--West (U.S.)--1898-1902.