Twin Bridges Post Office Records, 1891-1907 PDF
- Twin Bridges Post Office (Twin Bridges, Mont.)
- Twin Bridges Post Office Records
- 3 volumes
- Collection Number
- Collection 2518, MtBC, us (collection)
- The Twin Bridges Post Office records consist of three volumes: one cash book and two registers of money orders issued.
- Montana State University Library, Merrill G. Burlingame Special Collections
Montana State University-Bozeman Library
Merrill G Burlingame Special Collections
P.O. Box 173320
- Access Restrictions
This collection is open for research.
- Additional Reference Guides
An alternative form of this finding aid can be found at http://www.lib.montana.edu/collect/spcoll/findaid/2518.php
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities
Historical NoteReturn to Top
The town of Twin Bridges, Montana was established in Madison County around 1865 by the Lott family. The settlement was first known as "The Bridges," named for the bridges built across the Beaverhead and Big Hole rivers. The Lotts constructed and improved roads, in addition to donating land for settlement and public buildings. The town got its first post office in 1869. In 1884 the mail service was reorganized and Twin Bridges became a distribution point, served by three daily stagecoaches from Virginia City, Dillion and Whitehall. By 1889 stagecoach service was discontinued with the construction of the Northern Pacific Railroad. In 1887 Gilbert B. Wheat was appointed postmaster, followed by Gardiner A. Pease in 1896 and Lynn Comfort in 1901.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The Twin Bridges Post Office records consist of three volumes: one cash book with entries from July 8, 1891 to June 30, 1894; one register of money orders issued, July 14, 1891 to August 27, 1896; one register of money orders issued, September 1891 to November 30, 1907.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
|Postmasters cash book||1891 July 8 - 1894 June 30|
|Postmasters register of money orders issued||1891 July 14 - 1891 August 27|
|Postmasters register of money orders issued||1891 September - 1907 November 30|
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Postal service-Montana-Twin Bridges