Evans Smith McComas papers, 1862-1911 PDF
- McComas, E. S. (Evans Smith), 1839-1911
- Evans Smith McComas papers
- 1862-1911 (inclusive)18621911
- 1.5 linear feet, (1 container)
- Collection Number
- Ax 181
- Evans Smith McComas came from Iowa to Oregon to work in the mines in the 1860s. He later owned and edited newspapers. The collection consists of scrapbooks and the McComas diary, 1862-1867, which describes his journey on the overland trip to Oregon.
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
UO Libraries--SPC, 1299
University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public.
Collection must be used in Special Collections & University Archives Reading Room.
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Evans Smith McComas was born in Ohio. In 1860 he was living in Johnson County, Iowa where he taught school. He came overland to eastern Oregon in 1862 to the mines near Auburn. He tried other means of making a living, but was most successful as newspaper editor, and owned, edited, or contributed to a series of papers in eastern Oregon. He also promoted mines, patent medicines, and real estate.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection consists of the McComas diary, 1862-1867, and includes his account of his overland trip. Songs, speeches, and ballads are transcribed on the final pages. Four scrapbooks contain items written by McComas or of interest to him. A few of the pieces are by or about William Henry McComas, his brother, who came to Oregon in 1872 and was also in the newspaper business. There are also deed and mortgage records. The McComas diary was published in 1954 by the Champoeg Press, Portland, Oregon, under the title, A Journal of Travel.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Property rights reside with Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections & University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Archival may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal and/or state right to privacy laws and other regulations.
Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g. a cause of action for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the University of Oregon assumes no responsibility.
If a researcher finds sensitive personal information in a collection, please bring it to the attention of the reading room staff.
[Identification of item], Evans Smith McComas Papers, Ax 181, Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries, Eugene, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
McComas papersReturn to Top
Deed and mortgage records
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Gold mines and mining--Oregon--Auburn
- Newspaper editors--Oregon, Eastern
- Overland journeys to the Pacific
- Personal Names :
- McComas, E. S. (Evans Smith), 1839-1911--Archives
- McComas, William Henry